13 replies to this topic

#1 kiwimike01

kiwimike01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 09:16 AM

Hey all I recently was replacing the back plates on the front drum setup and when I put it all back together I noticed the cv boot looked like it wasn't in properly. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be inside the hub or if it's OK as it sits. I've taken a photo to show what I mean.

Also I took one hub off completely to shim a ball joint and now with it back on it doesn't seem to spin as freely as the one I left on. Could this be a problem or could it just be the new backplate and shoes binding to the drum and needs some wearing in?

Attached Files

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:06 AM

You can normally hear the shoe rubbing in the drum.

Drive it a couple of miles, with lots of hard braking, and try it again.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

The boot does not go into the hub. It locates and is held on the CV.

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:38 AM

I would clean some of the grease up as it will attract dirt which may damage the boot.Steve..

#5 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

time to clean the cv joint, new boot most likely or if savable regrease, reassemble, new clip etc to hold boot in place. clean all grease up from everything else. sounds like shoes need adjusting which is covered many times on here. have a little search.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:19 PM

Now depending on how long that CV gaiter has been like that there is every chance the CV is full of dirt and is probably worn.

From a personal point of view i would consider changing it. You could disassemble it, thoroughly clean it out, repack with grease but if dirt has been in there for some time then wear will have set in. 

Yes i agree there is still grease in there but grease attracts detritus.

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:00 PM

Now depending on how long that CV gaiter has been like that there is every chance the CV is full of dirt and is probably worn.

From a personal point of view i would consider changing it. You could disassemble it, thoroughly clean it out, repack with grease but if dirt has been in there for some time then wear will have set in. 

Yes i agree there is still grease in there but grease attracts detritus.

There is probably the other 1/2 of  "The Dead Sea" in there.

Lol

#8 kiwimike01

kiwimike01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will take your advice and clean everything and inspect the cv. The car has been sitting for the last 6 years so can't imagine it'll be too worn unless the boot was like this for a while before it was parked.

As far as the drums go I know how to adjust the shoes properly. Sorry I should have been more clear. Even with the drum off I try to spin the hub and it won't do more than a quarter turn on its own. I did over torque it as I misread the correct setting. Could this have caused it to bind to something it wasn't supposed to?
Once I knew it was over tightened I loosened it off and popped the cv back out of the hub then re torqued it to the correct setting but still didn't want to spin freely.

Edited by kiwimike01, 17 March 2020 - 06:06 PM.

#9 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will take your advice and clean everything and inspect the cv. The car has been sitting for the last 6 years so can't imagine it'll be too worn unless the boot was like this for a while before it was parked.

As far as the drums go I know how to adjust the shoes properly. Sorry I should have been more clear. Even with the drum off I try to spin the hub and it won't do more than a quarter turn on its own. I did over torque it as I misread the correct setting. Could this have caused it to bind to something it wasn't supposed to?
Once I knew it was over tightened I loosened it off and popped the cv back out of the hub then re torqued it to the correct setting but still didn't want to spin freely.

when you say it wont turn more than a quarter, you are trying to turn the hub which is trying to turn the diff in the gearbox if the other wheel is on the ground. or your trying trun the whole drive train with the wheel off the ground. 

#10 kiwimike01

kiwimike01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:39 AM

The whole front is up on axle stands so would be the whole drive train. The other wheel that I didn't over torque by mistake seems to spin more freely. I am yet to take it for a drive so it may be fine it just seemed a bit odd that was all.

Edited by kiwimike01, 18 March 2020 - 08:39 AM.

#11 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:16 AM

I think you now have a bearing issue too - if when torqued up to spec and it doesn't turn freely then time for new Timken bearing sets.

#12 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:56 AM

Not knowing much about drum braked cars I would be checking that the CV is in far enough but that could be just the picture/normal.I would dissassemble it to check for gremlins,Steve..

#13 kiwimike01

kiwimike01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:58 PM

So I pulled the axle out and the CV boot was knackered so will order a couple to do both. The actual CV looks OK and there was no knocking before when I drove it to the garage and back. 

Also with the wheel bearings, when i had the hub off there was a loose ring in where the bearings were falling into the middle of the hub. I didn't pay much attention to this but is that the sign of shot wheel bearings?

And lastly, when i pulled the axle out all the pot joint ball bearing fell out straight away. I'm guessing this isn't normal and the balls don't have any grooves or pitting but there is rusty 'veins' all over them (not sure if its rust). Do I need to replace these? and if so is it just the balls or the metal cage that holds them in too?

#14 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:01 AM

You have answered your own question :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users