#1 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

I have a 1989 racing green 998 which has been resistant to repair.It has an integral servo and green tag on the master cylinder.I took photos when I removed it but sadly not of the pipes.Which pipe goes where to the pressure valve please?.Rookie mistake,I blame age.Steve..

#2 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:24 PM

Hi I'm not sure whether this helps?

#3 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

Sorry, problems uploading the image, I'll try again later

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:02 PM

Funnily enough my son is called Matthew and he gave me this car after using it all up.Steve..

#5 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

Hi Steve, I have a picture from one of the Rover dealer manuals but for some reason find it a nightmare trying upload pictures on hear so I will explain it as best I can, hope it all makes sense.

On the master cylinder you have two ports, the one nearest to the servo is the primary piston/cylinder and serves the front brakes the one nearest the front of the car is the secondary piston/cylinder and serves the rear brakes.

Now as you know both these ports are piped to FAM7821 or pressure valve as you refer to it.

The pipe going from the master cylinder primary (front brakes) goes to the port on FAM7821 nearest the inner wing and the pipe coming from the secondary (rear brakes) goes to the port furthest away.

#6 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:42 AM

thanks will give it a go later today.The Haynes is delightfully vague on these "later" cars being covered in "the suppliment" which usually has a blurry photo of something.Steve..

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

Is this any help ?

K3EjT9g.jpg

#8 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:55 PM

Thats the picture Chris, cannot believe the amount of cars I have seen that are piped the wrong way around, not from the factory but post restoration or upgrade. At one show I made a point of looking at a number of cars (around a dozen give or take) that had bonnets up around a third were incorrect and half of the ones that were ok looked to be factory original.   

#9 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the info it is exactly what was required.In my old age I find the search engines conspire against me,almost as if they will only give the answer if you ask the exact question.My search showed both methods of connection as correct so I was unsure.Thanks again,now for bleeding them if I can rope in my glamorous assistant.Steve..

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:02 AM

Cheers guys - glad I can be of some good and not just put out with the next load of trash just yet.

Usually - but not exclusively - on just about every production car, the port that is closest to the Push Rod is connected to the Front Brakes. I think in some countries registration laws, this is a requirement (off hand, I think it is here).

In fact, the only ones I do know of that is the reverse of this is the Upright Tandem Yellow Tag Cylinder fitted to some model Minis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users