12 replies to this topic

#1 maxbrown336

maxbrown336

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

What are some of the 'easier' ways to add power to the A series Engine that don't cost to much and are fairly simple to install? 

#2 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

Fit a Stage 1 kit that's been developed like the minispares kit. Then it would be head and cam upgrades. Or assuming you have a small bore now, fit a bigger engine with the same sequence mods as above.

#3 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

What are some of the 'easier' ways to add power to the A series Engine that don't cost to much and are fairly simple to install?

I'd start with a stage one but I would also get the carb set up (and either rebuilt or replaced if it is worn) as a simple tune up can transform how it drives.

What's your budget? What's the engine? Any previous work/upgrades? Have high carried out a full service on it?

#4 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

remove weight

#5 Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:05 AM

Only drive downhill?

#6 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:03 AM

Fit a Stage 1 kit that's been developed like the minispares kit. Then it would be head and cam upgrades. Or assuming you have a small bore now, fit a bigger engine with the same sequence mods as above.

I'd start with a stage one but I would also get the carb set up (and either rebuilt or replaced if it is worn) as a simple tune up can transform how it drives.

What's your budget? What's the engine? Any previous work/upgrades? Have high carried out a full service on it?

remove weight

Am certainly no expert, but when I asked myself the same question I opted for these, although the removing weight was very minimal as it's a family road car.  The other thing I found that worked well was swap from 12 inch wheels to 10. Obviously this doesn't add power but the car feels much lighter to drive, and far more agile. The wheel change for me has been the best modification I've made as far as driving enjoyment.

Edited by humph, 19 March 2020 - 09:07 AM.

#7 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:56 PM

A bloody good tune up.

Ac

#8 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:17 PM

It can be amazing how a new jet and needle can make a difference. Electronic ignition, Powerspark or Autospark, will help.

#9 MrE812

MrE812

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: ELMOC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:14 PM

New air filter (splash out on a K&N if you want) to make sure you're feeding plenty of air to your carb.

As already mentioned electronic ignition would be a simple enough bolt on, make sure your plugs and ignition leads are in good order.

After that get it tuned on a rolling road by someone that comes recommended, possibly not cheap but you might get a deal if there is a club tuning day?

Bottom line is that to be able to burn more fuel you need to increase the flow of air so change camshaft , bigger/twin carbs, flowed cylinder head,  the cost stats ramping up pretty quick.

Lots of options and good advice here already.  Good luck.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:26 PM

put it in the bin and fit something else.

but back to your engine what is it and what have you already done?

#11 kiwi topcat

kiwi topcat

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:40 AM

up grade to 1.5 rockers easy increase of power without removing motor, like changing the cam

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:16 AM

up grade to 1.5 rockers easy increase of power without removing motor, like changing the cam

But you lose drivability and you still need to check spring crush etc. it is not “Plug and play”

Edited by nicklouse, 20 March 2020 - 11:01 AM.

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:50 AM

There is a misconception that the way to make your car faster and hence make a journey take less time is to simply increase the power and/or torque of the engine. In fact, the way to increase the average driving speed is to do the following things in roughly this order:

1.  Reduce the weight.

2.  Improve the brakes by fitting better pad/lining materials.

3.  Fit better, top quality, tyres

4   Improve the suspension by setting the geometry accurately, fitting adjustable dampers and making sure all bushes are in top condition.

Once done you will be able to carry more speed safely through the corners and thus improve the speed down the straight bits.

Then, and really only then, you can start looking at engine performance by doing some of the things mentioned above. The key to engine performance with the old A-series, is the gas flowing of the cylinder head and the fitting of appropriate induction & exhaust parts to help the engine to 'breath' better.

With the head, induction & exhaust systems improved a different cam can be of benefit. It needs to be remembered that you don't get 'owt for nowt' in this World and a different cam may well give more power and/or torque, but it will change the power/torque band and that can require a change of final drive ratio in order to be able to make ful use of this extra power/torque. It is easy to 'over cam' an engine, especialy if you read either of the two 'comics' which go on about 'hot' cams. There are some excellent cams which are an advantage once the rest has been done and the Evo001 is a good example, although there are others (MG Metro, Kent 266, etc). I'm sure that those who sell cams will be along soon to tell you 'theirs' is best for you  ;D .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users