9 replies to this topic

#1 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

Hi chaps I’m at the point where I’m close to paint, engines in and connected, I want to try to start it before paint, I’ve not got door, bonnet, or boot alarm sensors connected will this cause an issue starting it up, can someone give me a run through what I may need reconnecting to get it going before I paint it obveosly there’s odds and ends wiring wise to connect

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,899 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:48 AM

You need to have all ECU and engine grounded. Fuel pump loom needs to be grounded. Crank the engine without fuel pump connected until you have oil pressure (oil light goes out) or if you've got an oil pressure gauge, wait for it to make pressure. Connect fuel pump, start. Or just wait until it's back from paint when you have all the wiring in the car and get can get a better situation for an engine start. Have you had the engine rebuilt?

#3 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:39 PM

You need to have all ECU and engine grounded. Fuel pump loom needs to be grounded. Crank the engine without fuel pump connected until you have oil pressure (oil light goes out) or if you've got an oil pressure gauge, wait for it to make pressure. Connect fuel pump, start. Or just wait until it's back from paint when you have all the wiring in the car and get can get a better situation for an engine start. Have you had the engine rebuilt?

Does make more sense to wait, I just wanted it to run so I don’t have to do any repairs over new paint work, the engine is as it was not rebuilt
Do I need the air bag connected and seatbelt tensioners fitted aswell ?

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:59 PM

How long is it since the engine drove the car?

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,899 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

Does make more sense to wait, I just wanted it to run so I don’t have to do any repairs over new paint work, the engine is as it was not rebuilt
Do I need the air bag connected and seatbelt tensioners fitted aswell ?

I'd leave it until after paint. If it ran before, it'll run again. Make sure when the car is back that you run a tap through all the bodywork's earth points.

#6 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:32 PM

Around a year I recon

#7 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:38 PM

Around a year I recon

Based on mine, which was quiet for a little longer, I'd suggest flushing the coolant a couple of times, tends to get a bit brown in there while idle.

Keep an eye on the driveshaft flange seals, they seem not to like long periods of inactivity.

I also had a slight leak from my gearchange rod seal, initially, but it sorted itself out.

As recommended above I'd wait until after paint to start the engine.

It's worth going round the earthing points before you put the bonnet back on.

#8 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:50 PM

Around a year I recon
Based on mine, which was quiet for a little longer, I'd suggest flushing the coolant a couple of times, tends to get a bit brown in there while idle.
Keep an eye on the driveshaft flange seals, they seem not to like long periods of inactivity.
I also had a slight leak from my gearchange rod seal, initially, but it sorted itself out.
As recommended above I'd wait until after paint to start the engine.
It's worth going round the earthing points before you put the bonnet back on.
Thanks for that mate I think I’ll wait! I did actually flush the engine out a few months ago before I re fitted it so should be good there, maybe some new oil but I’m still unsure which oil to use ?

#9 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:12 PM

This is what I use in mine.

Attached Files

#10 leepol83

leepol83