6 replies to this topic

#1 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:17 AM

I notice recently that when sat, my SPi temp climbs a bit. I actually have two gauges watching. I added a senor in the head and gauge. When first notice, I also noticed that the aux fan wasn’t running. Strange. So, I tested a bit. Cleaned some connections, potentially fixed another. Swapped out the relay with another. With the car fully warmed up and idling in the shop, the fans do turn on, sometimes for 6 seconds, and another for 40 seconds. Does anyone’s fan act this way or is there something wrong here?

#2 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:19 AM

Don't know if the SPi is different i.e. whether the electronics have any effect on the fan operation.

On my carb version the auxillary fan comes on at a set temperature runs continuously then goes off at a set temperature.

The connectors to the sensor on the radiator are very poor considering its exposed postion.

If the fan is running intermittantly I'd start by bridging the sensor connectors to see if fan runs normally.

If it does then I'd clean all the connectors you can find that are relevant to the fan.

I think the fan motor can deteriorate if it never gets any use as well.

#3 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:52 PM

The aux fan is only supposed to be a ‘when needed’ thing so should only come on for as long as it needs to, to cool things down, usually when in standing traffic after been driven for a bit.

My SPi aux fan rarely comes on since I went to town on cleaning up all the waterways in the head and block...I have to give it real thrashing first mind ?

#4 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:05 PM

See, I would say the same for mine. My motor has had an extreme going over on last rebuild. Block was hot-tanked and cleaned out. My rad has been updated to the latest with the screw-in sensor and I have cleaned out the manifold waterway and replaced the sensor along the way. Coolant has been flushed regularly, as has the heater matrix. I'd have though this system was in tip top! My motor is now a 1310 with high compression, head, cam, LCB so I assume it gets a little hotter then a stock one.

What I noticed is that the fan will come on when you just let it sit and idle. I started the car and let it warm up fully on its own while parked. The fan finally goes on and off but I would have thought it needed more then 6 seconds to do its job. The next time is came on, maybe a minute or so later, it stayed on for 40 odd seconds. Seems sporadic to me. The other to note is that the stock temp gauge is a little misleading. Having now fitted another (electric VDO) gauge with sensor is the typical Mini spot (under thermostat housing on head) I can now see just how much the temp goes up and down...all the while the stock gauge barely moves.

I will look at the sensor itself and its condition as well as the wiring. The relay wiring seems good. No corrosion. What I did notice is that when I was looking remove the inline fuse for the fuel pump (going a compression test) I bumped another and the one end of the wire fell out of the fuse holder. It turned out to be the power wire for the fan. I crimped it back on BUT plan on replacing the entire inline fuse holder as soon as the new one(s) arrive. Could be a loose connection there as I have had issues with those inlines before.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:43 PM

At idle i# when the aux fan is needed at all other times the standard mechanical fan and the motion of the car is sufficient.

#6 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:39 AM

No, I understand that it is really there as a backup and I usually only hear it kick on in traffic. I’m just not sure i ever remember it running at such short intervals. I remember reading somewhere the temps it goes on and off at. I highly doubt that it running for 6 sec was enough time for that to happen.

#7 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

Well, found this and noticed some corrosion on the sensor connections. Will be replacing sensor and giving everything a real good cleaning and further inspection to ensure no other breaks in wires

Attached Files

Edited by brivinci, 21 March 2020 - 12:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users