22 replies to this topic

#1 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

Mine is a 1979 model so is due to be exempt from 1st April this year.  Thing is the tax runs out on 31 March.  Can I apply for historic tax now or do I have to wait until 1st April? 

If I tax it now and apply after 1st April for historic I'll get a refund but probably lose a month's tax. 

I could SORN it now to start from 1st April and then apply for historic tax on 1st April.

I could do nothing now and go to the Post Office on 1st April and apply for historic tax - this means I briefly have an untaxed and unSORNed vehicle - will anyone care.

Or will the Post Office let me do it now?

:wacko: 

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:07 PM

I was told that my car was "Historically taxed" before I left the Post Office.

#3 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:34 PM

It's a long winded system for getting a refund from DVLA you can't do it online or over the phone only by post. I would suggest taking your V5 to the post office on the 1st they write historic vehicle on it send it to Swansea and you'll get a new one back in the post in a week or so, and I think as soon as they have it at the Poffice your covered. That's what I did and didn't get any problems.

#4 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:45 PM

as far as i can recall, you can apply to renew car tax up to a month before it expires, so shouldn't be an issue, and as the renewal starts at 1st April the car will have qualified for Historic status so there will be no fee

i'm pretty sure others have managed to do it at a post office without issues - there's a few threads kicking about on this 

#5 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:45 PM

Post office on the 1st is the way to go.

If you're choosing to forego MOTs remember to tick the declaration for that, at the time, otherwise it requires one.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:29 PM

Declaring Tax And Mot Exempt:-

http://www.theminifo...and-mot-exempt/

Edited by mab01uk, 19 March 2020 - 07:30 PM.

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:19 PM

Went out for some bread today and thought I'd try getting the tax sorted at the Post Office before we're locked in our cells.  Can't do it - need to go back on the 1st (if that's possible).  Totally ridiculous as the result's the same whether I get it now or on the 1st April.  Stupid DVLA bureaucracy.

#8 robminibcy

robminibcy

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:39 PM

I was just about to start a thread asking the same! My tax and MOT still have some months to go but still want it declared as historic asap. Does anyone know if post offices are still processing these forms? Or has anyone had any luck sending forms direct to DVLA themselves?

#9 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:29 PM

As far as I understand Post Offices are still open and providing their normal services.

#10 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:57 AM

Left the cell for my regime sanctioned exercise today and made an essential trip to the Post Office to get the tax sorted as I may need to use the vehicle to make essential trips at some point.  Could have taxed it online and delayed changing the tax class but need to watch the finances at the moment suprisingly so didn't want to give more cash to the state.  Glad to say it all worked today.

#11 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:21 PM

I received my Car tax reminder today as my tax runs out at the end of April, the car is currently with Ben (Mill Road Garage) and is currently without MOT. The car was registered on the 1st Jan 1980 so now qualifies for historic tax status and does not require an MOT?

I have contacted DVLA who inform me that in order to register for historic tax status I need to provide them with proof that the car was manufactured before 31 December 1979, when I explained that the car was registered on the 1st Jan 1980 I was told that even though common sense should say that 1st Jan registration means that the car was manufactured before 31 December 1979, written proof is required.

Grateful for advice on where I could get written proof of date of manufacture.

Many thanks

John

#12 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:47 PM

You usually get a build date on a heritage certificate I did with my 75 gt.

#13 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:11 PM

I received my Car tax reminder today as my tax runs out at the end of April, the car is currently with Ben (Mill Road Garage) and is currently without MOT. The car was registered on the 1st Jan 1980 so now qualifies for historic tax status and does not require an MOT?

I have contacted DVLA who inform me that in order to register for historic tax status I need to provide them with proof that the car was manufactured before 31 December 1979, when I explained that the car was registered on the 1st Jan 1980 I was told that even though common sense should say that 1st Jan registration means that the car was manufactured before 31 December 1979, written proof is required.

Many thanks

John

according to the page below, it seems common sense has in fact prevailed:

"If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered between 1 and 7 January 1980, you do not have to pay vehicle tax."

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

#14 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:29 PM

Many thanks

John

"If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered between 1 and 7 January 1980, you do not have to pay vehicle tax."

Thank you very much, it's a pity that the DVLA staff don't know all the facts

#15 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

Many thanks

John

Thank you very much, it's a pity that the DVLA staff don't know all the facts

have a read through the thread I started a while back mate,http://www.theminifo...and-mot-exempt/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users