#1 NunoTT

NunoTT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

Hi!

I'm curious to know if anyone has done sill/pin stands on a Mini shell without a rollcage. I was thinking of making some in my shelll since it will go under a big repair.

I've seen people do it in Mini's, but it usually ties into the rollcage. I would like to run a full cgae, but it's not road legal here in Portugal. I can, however, run a rear roll bar, and I am planning on running one.

Anyway, I'm just not sure if the Mini sills are strong enough to withstand the force of the entire car on such a small area. I also thought about running a tube inside the sill, similar to what Bad Obssession Motorsport did on Binky.

Let me know what you think.

Any suggestions and oppinions are welcome!

NunoTT

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:53 PM

"How Hi" is a Chinaman, Lol..............sorry.....I mean, what is your height ?

If something so heavy falls on the roof of your Mini that the sills give way and the cage 'feet' drop 6" and touch the ground, you should be OK unless you are very tall.

#3 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:37 PM

Well the original lifting point is a reinforced point but mainly attached to the sills, lifting half(give or take) the weight.
If two are made on each side I think you'll be OK as long as you make something strong spreading the load inside tho sills properly. Specially at the front.
Ive seen quite a few over the years, but it's been a while. It one of the many things I have on my list but never had time to put down on paper, altho I do now but can't get to my mini... Ironical really. ?

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:22 PM

Pointing down or outward?.I would think that a plate the same size required for a roll cage foot welded inside the sill tied to the doorpost at the front and the heelboard at the rear would be suitable.Beware I am not an engineer so satisfy yourself as to the suitability of this.Steve..

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:25 PM

Owens are doing a run now.

#6 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:35 PM

https://youtu.be/adYfgkvDWn0
Got pins in that.
Nice vid, turn up the low down tone for max pleasure. ?

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:22 PM

Personally i would spread the load more internally so yes a tube running the length between the inner and out sill, suitably tied in would work well. A few well placed gussets and job a good un.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users