Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

Hi;

Need a little advice here.

I am in the process of a 998 to 1310 engine upgrade but I am no where near ready to carry it out. In the mean time my trust Mini has developed a nice sized hole in the rear box, I managed to weld up the exhaust last year for the MOT (where the tail pipe exits the box) but the rear box has gone now and welding will probably not work. So I need a new exhaust for the MOT in May.

I will be buying a Stage One Kit for the 1310 so don't want to shell out on an exhaust system that I won't be using for long. However, I spotted an RC40 for sale locally (cheap and has done very few miles). The RC40 is off of a 1992 Carb 1275 but I have been advised that the down pipe wont fit my 998 manifold so to get the exhaust to fit I'll have to hack n slash it onto my 998 down pipe, or get some sort of reducer.

Any advice on the above?

Many thanks 

gHjqEXt.jpg

3PFZLsf.jpg

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 20 March 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#2 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:13 PM

Minispares sell a link pipe

#3 DAD10

DAD10

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

Maniflow do something called a magic pipe (LDP01) which connects the standard cast exhaust manifold to the rc40 for £34.00. 

#4 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:18 PM

Type ldp1 into minispares search bar. It comes straight up

#5 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:02 PM

The exhaust and down pipe in the picture looks like a flange fixing to join them whereas LDP1 fits inside the std RC40 twin box link pipe pipe which then fits inside the RC40 twin box itself all slip fitting

I think LDP1 is a "long" pipe i.e. replicates an LCB manifold length so you need a "short" link pipe RC40-002 to go to an RC40 twin box

The stage one kit uses a freeflow manifold which is shorter than an LCB so needs the "long" link pipe RC40-001 to go to an RC40 twin box

However all these are slip fitting not flange fitting so no use with the exhaust you have I don't think but I can't see the flange very well on the exhaust sorry.

A std 850/998 exhaust is £37.80 inc vat so the cheapest way out quickly probably

But like any thing a bit of ingenuity can save you money - the 998 std exhaust you have is unlikely to be too rusted at the front/down pipe so maybe you can do a cut'n'shut to the down pipe you have in the picture to keep the flange fixing to the exhaust?

#6 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:26 PM

That exhaust looks like one for a cat anyway. Have you got one on yours?

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:51 PM

That exhaust looks like one for a cat anyway. Have you got one on yours?

Definitely a cat exhaust, so will need a cat or link pipe.

#8 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:18 AM

I have a 1982 HLE 1000 with standard exhaust and standard manifold. I am looking for the best and most economical way to fit this Twin Box RC40 and nite wast any money towards the longer term project of fitting the 1310.

So I need:
An LDP1 Magic Pipe
An RC400-002 Pipe
An RC40 fitting kit

Are you saying I’ll need to cut the flange off of the Twin Box where it connects to the down pipe?

#9 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

Does the guy who sold you the exhaust still have the cast manifold, if so buy that and job done.

If you haven`t got a separate inlet manifold a frantic hour with a hacksaw will sort that out :)

#10 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

Does the guy who sold you the exhaust still have the cast manifold, if so buy that and job done.
If you haven`t got a separate inlet manifold a frantic hour with a hacksaw will sort that out :)

But still buy the bits listed above?

#11 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:04 PM

Ok so I have just taken ownership of the exhaust system.
RC40 with Cat flange exiting the front of the middle box. He also gave me a short piece of pipe with two faces either side which was fitted in place of the cat and the down pipe. All pieces are flange fittings not slip fittings. Pics later when I transfer them to Imagur.

#12 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:15 PM

So I am now in possession of said exhaust system. 

Not that I am an expert, but it does appear to be a cat version (but I cannot find any reference to an RC40 cat version on the Mini Spares web site). The guy who sold it supplied me with a short joining piece that he fitted in place of the cat.

All of the pieces that came have flanges on their ends and therefore I am unsure exactly how to get this to fit without cutting anything. I also want to be able to use the RC40 in the not too distant future with a 1310.

According to the Mini Spares Web Site, to fit a twin box RC40 to a 998 you need the following:

An LDP1 Magic Pipe
An RC400-002 Pipe
An RC40 fitting kit

However all these appear to be slip fittings.

Any help would be great

The exhaust system:

EVIMYyr.jpg

The inner end of the twin box section:

1vmorjB.jpg

Replacement Cat link piece:

z5Ottsz.jpg

Down pipe:

zqyQMxD.jpg

#13 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:51 PM

OK so I have now found that this exhaust is probably this one a (GEX33519) as it has a hanger mounted on the tail pipe and a bolt on hanger mounted on the pipe between the two boxes, whereas the other twin box cat RC40s (C-STR812) has the hangers on either end of the end box. 

What I need help with is sorting out the best was to fit this to my 998?

#14 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:02 PM

Cut the 998 front pipe to a length where you can weld a flange on it to bolt to the new pipe either with or without the decat pipe,whichever is better.Might not be ideal but would be my take on it.Steve..

#15 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:02 AM

Cut the 998 front pipe to a length where you can weld a flange on it to bolt to the new pipe either with or without the decat pipe,whichever is better.Might not be ideal but would be my take on it.Steve..

So merge the existing 998 down pipe with the 1275 down pipe (with the flange on) to either meet either the Decat Pipe, or staring into the twin box and sell the Decat Pipe. I guess welding would be better that trying to clamp the 1275 over the 998 pipe but clamping would give a bit of play for fitting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)