#1 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

My ‘65 Riley Elf which I am rebuilding, has been fitted with 8.4 vented discs and 4 pot calipers.

I am having problems with the calipers. The right hand one has a snapped bleed nipple, I have since snapped a second nipple, the third (top) one is OK. I am nervous about snapping an easy out inside the stuck nipple whilst trying to remove them.  I also need to remove the pistons to check & refurb these.

i realise  costs could escalate if I need to renew the pistons and am wondering what options I have with 8.4 vented discs.  The 4 pot calipers seem in short supply.

is there an alternative maybe 2 pot calipers that will fit the vented discs?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:58 PM

Many calipers out there that are 4 pot and vented.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:38 PM

I have a set of drilled and grooved 8.4" solid discs and pair of callipers you can have.
PM me if interested.

#4 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

I have a set of drilled and grooved 8.4" solid discs and pair of callipers you can have.
PM me if interested.

I have the discs, they are in good nick.  It is the calipers that are a bit suspect. One caliper has 2 snapped bleed nipples, I suspect the pistons may require replacing, so was thinking I’d be better with new calipers.

I’m not convinced 4 pot calipers are necessary and was wondering if there is a suitable 2 pot caliper the will fit the Metro hub and 8.4 vented discs.

#5 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:25 PM

In that case having the Metro hubs you just need to get yourself a set of bog standard Mini disc assembly's and bolt them on.

They are cheap as chips and more than adequate for the job unlike the metro hubs that will give bump steer and long pedal travel and apart from bragging rights vented discs add nothing to a road car and stay away from EBC pads and fit AP.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:50 PM

A few ways you could go here. The cast 4 spot calipers do have a reputation for breaking nipples.

Mini Spares have an Alloy 4 Spot, that you would need a spacer kit for to fit on vented discs and have sensible 3/8" bleed nipples and are single circuit, so a tidier installation. I have these on a few cars and they are brilliant.

At the other end of the spectrum, it may well be cheaper and still end up with good brakes, to go to non-vented discs and cast 2 spot calipers.

Or you could have your repaired, but that could be costly to the point where the alloy calipers might be a better way forward.

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:04 PM

Perhaps this is the place to  mention:-

Always wrap a bit of PTFE tape round the threads of brake nipples and rear brake adjusters.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:57 PM

If doing a brake change on a 65 Elf one might consider 7.5" discs, then original dia 10" wheels would fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users