#1 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

Everyone out there in Mini land, be safe be careful and i hope this current crisis will finally desist.

Hitting my industry very very hard (Aviation) with no end in sight.

#2 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:14 PM

yup it´s going to be tough times ahead. My car is in a shared workshop a couple of km down the road. Most of the others in the complex are either elderly or work internationally. So not a place to be at the moment, not to mention I could potentially be exposing my parents to the virus and they are both in at risk groups. Here in NL they´ve taken swifter action than in the UK and we´re urged to stay home when possible, there's special times when only the elderly can use the shops; all the schools, bars, pubs, clubs closed. I´ve had all my gigs (I'm a musician on the side) cancelled and I'm between jobs as well. Fun on a bun. 

Good luck everyone! Stay safe.

#3 Ol timer

Ol timer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:51 PM

still at work in london until told differently. it's a ghost town and always nervous going in and out. they reduced trains so more and more people on less trains...doesnt make sense

Hate it when the gov advise dont use trains instead of cancelling them. just advising and me not going in wont pay the Bill's

stay safe everyone.

#4 Norfolk Boy

Norfolk Boy

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:38 PM

I’m a lorry driver covering the start of the food chain (agriculture) we’re absolutely flat out, the next worry is getting chemicals and fertiliser produced in Europe. If the supply chain stops there’s the possibility of crop failure which comes with its own consequences. Certainly worrying times. Also have an elderly father who’s convinced it’s Armageddon. Stay safe everyone!!

#5 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:54 PM

Thankfully I can work from home but self employed so no safety net at the present time. So it's porridge with water and baked spuds for tea for me right now, assuming as Norfolk Boy above says the food supply chain continues to furnish us with at least the basics.

China is possibly past the worst so perhaps some encouraging signs.

Batten down the hatches, keep your overheads down and stay home as much as practical everyone.

Loads of jobs to do on the mini anyway :)

#6 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:54 PM

Day one of isolation and as I'm single, living and working alone (from home) I'm climbing the walls already! This is going to be hard.

#7 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:04 PM

As per Norfolk boy, i work in the food industry (tea production) and we are flat out as well, there working overtime on as many lines as they can find staff to work the weekends.
And all those in the supply chain will be flat out as well.
There will not be a food shortage as the food that woud have gone to pubs, restaurants, cafes etc can now be diverted to the food shops, supermarkets.
BUT selfish t***s need to stop panic buying, its causing fear and anger and before long someone is going to die over a toilet roll.
Lets all stay safe and be sesible.

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:07 PM

Day one of isolation and as I'm single, living and working alone (from home) I'm climbing the walls already! This is going to be hard.

A gay chap lives in one of our cottages, who told me this morning " Thank goodness I'm single, I'd be getting divorced next Saturday"

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:10 PM

As per Norfolk boy, i work in the food industry (tea production) and we are flat out as well, there working overtime on as many lines as they can find staff to work the weekends.
There will not be a food shortage as the food that woud have gone to pubs, restaurants, cafes etc can now be diverted to the food shops, supermarkets.
BUT selfish t***s need to stop panic buying, its causing fear and anger and before long someone is going to die over a toilet roll.

Is it selfish ?

All those people who used to go to pubs and restaurants have got to buy extra food to eat at home.

#10 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

I work in a factory but there is also a large open spaced office. Anyone who can work from home has been given a laptop and told to do this for the next couple of weeks.

The rest of us who work in the factory have to go in as we either manufacture items or repair kit use in production.

Not ideal, but at least it has thinned the office out a lot and this should hopefully help control the risk of infection or spread.

Stay safe everyone and let hope it's not too long before the main danger passes and we can all get back to some form of normality again.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by Stevie W, 21 March 2020 - 04:32 PM.

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:41 PM

Is it selfish ?

All those people who used to go to pubs and restaurants have got to buy extra food to eat at home.

Restaurants and pubs can now do take-a-way food even if they did not before without changing their council licensing/planning permissions and is a way of continuing to support a local business where we can.

There was a pub on the TV news that had switched and was doing a good trade locally for take-a-way Sunday roast dinners, not sure if they can also do take-a-way beer, etc?

Edited by mab01uk, 21 March 2020 - 04:41 PM.

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:11 PM

Well done to Smiths Group for releasing their IPR in this time of need:-

"British technology firm Smiths Group says it is making the details of one of its ventilators available for other manufacturers to produce, in an attempt to tackle the shortage of equipment.

It comes as British engineering firms have been called on to switch to making medical ventilators, which helps breathing by getting oxygen into the lungs and removing carbon dioxide.

The group's Smiths Medical unit is also ramping up its own ventilator production, as well as providing intellectual property and advice to other companies to make its PARAPAC Plus lightweight ventilators.

A spokesperson said: "We are doing everything possible to substantially increase production of our ventilators at our Luton site and worldwide."

Ford, Honda, car parts firm Unipart, digger maker JCB, and aero-engine maker Rolls Royce are among companies looking into the feasibility of switching some production.

Japanese carmaker Nissan is also looking at manufacturing ventilators, as it confirmed it is halting UK vehicle production for the foreseeable future."

https://www.bbc.co.u...post_type=share

Formula 1 Teams Are To Help In Supply Of Ventilators

"Formula 1 teams are working with government and health authorities to increase the supply of ventilators during the coronavirus crisis.
Ventilators are a device used to help supply more air to patients with breathing difficulties, one of the effects of severe coronavirus symptoms.
The majority of F1 teams are aiming to work out ways to use their engineering facilities to boost production.
F1 said the aim was to "provide as much help and assistance as we can".
A spokesman said: "The F1 community is engaged in discussions with all the relevant stakeholders regarding this issue and we will provide further details in due course."
 number of teams have applied-technologies divisions that could directly feed into the national production capacity of ventilators in the UK and Italy, particularly McLaren, Red Bull, Williams, Mercedes and Ferrari.
But all teams have advanced manufacturing capability that could potentially be used to make complex devices such as this, and as many will help as can.
The idea is to increase the supply of the existing design of ventilators rather than try to come up with a new approach.
The UK is estimated to need an extra 20,000 ventilators to deal with the crisis as it develops over the coming months."
https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/51963897

Edited by mab01uk, 21 March 2020 - 05:11 PM.

#13 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:13 PM

AROnline: it’s going to be tough, but we’ll get through:-

https://www.aronline...ll-get-through/

Edited by mab01uk, 21 March 2020 - 05:13 PM.

#14 plantfitterRich

plantfitterRich

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: not sure yet!

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:17 PM

I'm also in Aviation, its unbelievable how it's gone from booming to dead in a matter of days. We get told if we have work for April next week. the government stating that 80% of our monthly wage will get paid takes the pressure off but wont count my chickens untill I actually see it.

#15 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:53 PM

I sell bathrooms in a showroom so I think I won't be seeing anyone for a while. Luckily I deal with trade as well so I will hopefully get something to keep me busy. Luckily I work for the biggest plumbing company in the UK and the message us that we will get through it together so it's helped to ease the worry. I hope this government plan keeps a lot of people in money. My missus had a pop at me because I went to minispares today to buy a head gasket and two bumpers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users