98 replies to this topic

#31 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:59 AM

My mums isnt listening and i had a word this morning!
She has copd, ashthma a few other things and my dad has had recent surgery. They were in tesco earlier and have been out seeing family not sure why!! They are mid 60s.
I have my daughter every other weekend and a few days in the week but dont know what to do about having her at mine as my ex wife has been out and about all week shopping seeing friends and family. As they say you cant choose your family lol.

Edited by petey81, 22 March 2020 - 11:01 AM.

#32 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:21 PM

My brother-in-law works at Currys (a major electrical retailer in the UK). They completely sold out of fridges and freezers for people to stockpile food, he was getting loads of verbal abuse from idiots all day because they couldn't get next day delivery! There's some mad, selfish and greedy people out there.

#33 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:39 PM

My brother-in-law works at Currys (a major electrical retailer in the UK). They completely sold out of fridges and freezers for people to stockpile food, he was getting loads of verbal abuse from idiots all day because they couldn't get next day delivery! There's some mad, selfish and greedy people out there.

I get some idiots from time to time in my showroom who want everything for nothing yesterday. I once had a customer snatch a part he brought in from my hand as I couldn't help him find a replacement and just stormed out of my shop. My colleague and I concluded that his missus must have sent him out to sort it and told him to not bother coming back until he can fix it ?

#34 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

Its the herd mentality thats gets me. Ohh such and such is doing that and must be right so i'm doing the same!!!!!

And contrary to belief and the film 28 days later, going to the country will not stop you from getting this virus. 

#35 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

Was supposed to be going back to visit my mum this wkend for Mother's Day, but when BJ advised against any unnecessary travel at the begining of the wk I decided not to bother buying the train ticket! She's 70 this year and a life long smoker, so definitely in the 'at risk' group.

Folk just need to keep calm and follow the guidelines if you do have to venture out. As for the footage/images I've seen on the news with regard to the panic buying I'm starting to wonder what the world is coming to...there are no issues with the food and goods supply chain! I've not bulk-bought anything and only ever buy enough for a couple of days as I never know what I'm going to fancy eating. Just miffed I couldn't get back to get the car out of the garage and give it a spring wash and polish!!

It's also a time when something needs to be done with the reporting by both the media and misinformation spreading on social media...saying things like London is going to be locked down at the wkend (it wasn't) and images of tanks (god only knows what year those photos were taken) causes more bulk-buying and people jumping in cars and going to the country/coast where they will be more of a drain on local resources rather than staying home in the smoke and just being sensible.

Just looking forward to things returning to some-kind-of-normality sometime soon ?? hope to see you all at the L2B when it runs later in the year.

#36 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:16 PM

Just looking forward to things returning to some-kind-of-normality sometime soon hope to see you all at the L2B when it runs later in the year.

Don't hold your breath there fella, this is going to be a long, drawn-out bumpy road for us all.

#37 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

Take care all! Although I have been out in the garage and washing the household cars, I have cut back my social engagements.

Good luck

#38 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

I wonder how much alcohol one needs in the blood to kill the virus ?

#39 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:32 PM

60%

#40 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:43 PM

On the positive side, nitrogen dioxide levels are falling rapidly  :unsure: : https://atmosphere.c...-lockdown-italy

#41 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

60%

So wiping surfaces with the strongest 50% vodka won't work.

Edited by DeadSquare, 22 March 2020 - 08:05 PM.

#42 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:52 PM

I’m stressed to ******* out like so many of us. My workplace, after I’ve worked at home about 10’days in the last three months, have no said no one is allowed to work from home.

Being forced to be in an office full of people coughing. Been told I either have unpaid leave (I have none) or go on sick leave to avoid the office. It’s disgraceful and it’s sent my nerves sky high.

#43 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

Crazy times indeed

Stay safe and aware of your surroundings as this goes on, in the event of a lockdown were all services are at limit people may take advantage of this..
I hope like you all this is over sooner than later

#44 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:30 PM

I work for a organisation that runs retirement villages.

I am in the finance department, but we have been told that if many of the actual carers get sick then we have to be ready to stand in. I am terrified by the thought of this I have to be honest. They have said we will be given basic training and won't be asked to do anything we're not comfortable with, but all the same, I know nothing about social care!

#45 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:36 PM

I live in rural North Devon and so far we have no COVID19 cases in our local hospital. The hospital has just 8 ICU units so you see how small it is.

The stream of caravans heading here over the last few days has been stunning.

As of yesterday I’ve now decided to stay at home as despite being just 48 I have had type 1 diabetes for 37 years, Myasthenia Gravis (another auto immune disease, and to trump all that I’m having a quadruple heart bypass in a couple of weeks. So I’m well into the ‘at higher risk’ category unfortunately.

Over the last week I can’t say I’ve noticed any effort to social distance, in fact the beaches have been packed and it’s getting busier day on day.

My wife is worried about bringing it home too but her employer isn’t over sympathetic about her home working although this is perfectly doable.

The sooner Boris actually makes social distancing law and not a polite suggestion the better.

Maybe I’m sensitive to the situation but it beggars belief the way some people are behaving.

Hope everyone stays safe and common sense prevails.

Edited by Minigman, 22 March 2020 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users