9 replies to this topic

#1 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:10 AM

The centre binnacle and gauges are a nightmare to get In And out.
My mini originally had a single centre Speedo which I have since added the 3 dial binnacle

This bolts to that, then that bolts to this, then these wires go there... it’s a fiddley pain in the butt.

The question is, can I just get a modern plug with x amount of connections and just splice/solder it in?
This way I can just permanently attach the dials with all bulbs etc in place and bolt this directly to the car with one easy plug.

Will there be complications with resistances In the bulbs or any thing else? I’d love to make everything nice and simple if I ever need to remove it again.

Thanks.
Mark

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

I'm just changing the speedo on mine and I'm not sure I understand.  The wiring on mine (3 dial centre binnacle converted from single dial) is the easy bit as it's just a factory multiplug behind the speedo with one extra connector for a temperature gauge.

The things I find annoying are removing some auxiliary gauges from the top dash rail, having to remove the parcel shelf trim without damaging it too much, having to drop the heater to reach the lower screws, the steering column really gets in the way, the oil pressure hose isn't quite long enough to give room to remove easily, I have to remove the small gauges from the binnacle to get access to the pozi-drive screws which hold the speedo into the binnacle, applying sealant to the binnacle to seal it to the bulkhead, getting the screws which hold the binnacle to line up without dropping them, putting the trim back in without damaging it too much. 

Definitely work making jobs easier though where possible.

#3 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:38 PM

For what it is worth, I don't think there would be any problem with increased resistance if you spliced in a new multi-plug/socket, I can't see it being that much different to solderining in a repair wire on the loom.

#4 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:19 PM

Unburntfuel... Any chance of taking a picture of the multiplug for me for reference?

There isn’t a multiplug on mine, everything bolts or plugs directly to the back of the speedo gauge.
The problem is with the new 3 clock binnacle the wires are just too short to reach and easily plug/bolt back in, or I have to fiddle through the big hole in the bulkhead to locate everything into place.
I have purchased a bulkhead blanking plate and am going to cover up said hole, again adding to my need to simplify/extend everything and add a single plug.

I think the answer is “yes” I can add a multiplug and extend all the wires, without any complications with the ignition lights or alternator charge light?
Thanks for the replies.

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:30 PM

Unburntfuel... Any chance of taking a picture of the multiplug for me for reference?

Yes but only just as the binnacle is back in now.  Just got a photo from the engine bay.  There's just enough length on the wires to be able to plug it in when inside the car before screwing the binnacle in.

Zpk5kok.jpg

nHRWBzB.jpg

#6 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:34 PM

Ok great. Thanks for that.

So it’s literally one plug for everything?
All the bulbs and earths etc stay in the dash/instruments, and the instruments are secured to the binnacle.
Then the binnacle has the 6 securing screws to hold it against the bulkhead?

Easy! That’s so much more straightforward than what I have currently.

Thanks so much for clarifying. ?

#7 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:38 PM

So the next question, where could I acquire such a plug/connector.
Or what could be a suitable alternative?

I had a quick look at eBay, nothing.
I’m over in New Zealand and minis are few and far between, scrapyards are even rarer.

I could get a generic universal plug but then I have to source all the correct colour wires, ideally a second hand one with all the “tails” of the wires so I can just solder it in place.... hmmm another search begins.

Any ideas?

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:50 PM

Ok great. Thanks for that.

So it’s literally one plug for everything?
All the bulbs and earths etc stay in the dash/instruments, and the instruments are secured to the binnacle.
Then the binnacle has the 6 securing screws to hold it against the bulkhead?

Easy! That’s so much more straightforward than what I have currently.

Thanks so much for clarifying.

I thought they all had the multiplug!  No problem adding one if you haven't got one, that would indeed be a nightmare without one! 

#9 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:59 PM

Thanks again.

Now you understand my annoyance and query, I just need to find someone with both connectors AND the wire ends still with enough length to solder to.

#10 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:12 PM

You'll probably get some connectors from Supercheap Auto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users