Photo
- - - - -

Mini Turns Over But Won't Start!

Best Answer Chaddyfynn , 23 March 2020 - 10:09 AM

Setting the valves would not affect the timing unless you had the timing chain removed.If it ran before you started check everything you have done assuming you have done everything wrong is the best approach for me.If it has never run use a manual to correctly set up the timing.Good luck,Steve

Yeah I thought that it shouldn't affect the timing but I couldn't conclude anything else. I'll resort back to Haynes. Thank you Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chaddyfynn

Chaddyfynn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:32 PM

I was adjusting my 1984 mayfair's valves and I think the timing is now off.

After setting everything I reinstalled all the spark plugs and leads and now the car won't start.

It turns over well so I'd suspect that the ignition timing is now completely off. I know briefly how to adjust the timing when it is minimal, but how would I go about adjusting the timing for when it might be a full rotation or so out?

Is there anything else it could be?

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:51 PM

Make sure the leads are in the correct orientation.

Edited by cal844, 22 March 2020 - 05:51 PM.

#3 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:52 PM

Plug leads on in the wrong order? I'm unclear as to why you took them off to check the valve clearances.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

Plug leads on in the wrong order? I'm unclear as to why you took them off to check the valve clearances.

Damn sight easier to turn the engine over to set the valve clearances with the plugs out.
I'm unclear as to why you wouldn't.

#5 Chaddyfynn

Chaddyfynn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:32 PM

Make sure the leads are in the correct orientation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look just incase I made a silly mistake but they're all in the right order. Same as before when it was working. I don't suppose there could be anything else? Is there a way to set ignition timing almost full rotations at a time?

#6 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

Before you start to chase the timing, might be worth checking the 3 basics (Fuel, Compression, Spark) in case you have missed something when putting it all back together.

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:47 PM

Setting the valves would not affect the timing unless you had the timing chain removed.If it ran before you started check everything you have done assuming you have done everything wrong is the best approach for me.If it has never run use a manual to correctly set up the timing.Good luck,Steve

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:50 PM

What are the valve clearances set to? Make sure the rocker lock nuts are tight enough. Check all the electrical connections at the front of the engine

#9 Chaddyfynn

Chaddyfynn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:08 AM

Before you start to chase the timing, might be worth checking the 3 basics (Fuel, Compression, Spark) in case you have missed something when putting it all back together.

Will do, thank you

#10 Chaddyfynn

Chaddyfynn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:09 AM   Best Answer

Yeah I thought that it shouldn't affect the timing but I couldn't conclude anything else. I'll resort back to Haynes. Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users