#1 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:25 PM

got a bit of a strange issue. Basically I decided I didn't like my over complicated dashboard with its awful wiring, so decided to redo it, but with a change. My car originally had line of sight clocks, without a rev counter. I have now decided to go for a centre speedo. I have put both left and right hand indicator wires together for the lamp to illuminate when they are on, but now both left and right hand click very fast, so they don't get time to hardly illuminate. The hazards work correctly, and the green light does illuminate for both left hand and right hand directions. I have tried another relay but unfortunately this didn't work, the only thing i was wondering is whether the lamp holder should earth out on the speedo body, or whether it should be insulated from it, as the alternator and oil pressure lamps are? 

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Alex

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:58 PM

indicator warning lamp should earth to the speedo

a fast flash may indicate too much load on the circuit (unless it's a modern indicator relay when it'll do that if a bulbs blown) - check whether both left and right indicators are lighting up at the same time

#3 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:06 PM

Separate the "left and right hand indicator wires together for the lamp to illuminate when they are on" and I think you'll find your problem is solved.

If you despertately need them to illuminate one warning bulb, you'll need to fit diodes to each line in.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:31 AM

Connecting the wires together as you have means that all the indicators lights will come on together as you're joining the left and right circuit into one circuit and the flasher unit can't cope with the load. 

The indicator lamp in the centre speedo arrangement does not need to earth through the speedo casing.  You don't need to use diodes.

Make sure you're using an insulated bulb holder so it doesn't earth to the speedo casing.  Connect the left hand indicator circuit to one wire of the indicator bulb and the right hand circuit to the other wire.   The bulb then earths through the circuit not in use at the time.  It seems odd but it's how it works and it's shown in the wiring diagrams for cars with this setup.

#5 miniman86

miniman86

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for your advice. The wiring harness that came with my centre Speedo didn't have a bulb holder on the indicator, so I have used a non insulated holder. I'll change that today, thank you!

Alex

#6 miniman86

miniman86

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:52 PM

Now sorted this, thanks once again!

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

The indicator lamp in the centre speedo arrangement does not need to earth through the speedo casing.  You don't need to use diodes.

Just for completeness:

The bulb holder needs to be insulated because the non flashing side becomes the earth for the indicator warning light. The bulb's high resistance means not enough current flows to light the indicators on the other side.

The bulb shouldn't light with hazards as there'll be equal voltage on both sides of it.

#8 miniman86

miniman86

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:50 PM

This is now exactly how I have it set up! Was a very silly schoolboy error yesterday unfortunately. Glad it's sorted now, onto the next problem ?

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users