6 replies to this topic

#1 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:27 AM

Just found out that if your car is due for mot from 1st April it will have an automatic delay period for 6 months until the current crisis passes!

Whilst it's good news for motorists it means garages with an income to maintain will be affected. My daily is due on 3rd April so the pressure is off for now but it's booked in so I will still take it down the evening before and give it a wipe inside.

Edited by blacktulip, 25 March 2020 - 11:42 AM.

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:38 AM

If a car is due for mot from 1st April it will have an automatic delay period for 6 months until the current crisis passes. Whilst it's good news for motorists it means garages with an income to maintain will be affected. My daily is due on 3rd April so the pressure is off for now but it's booked in so I will still take it down the evening before and give it a wipe inside.

If the current MOT expires 3rd April, you can get it done now, if you can find somewhere open.

You can present a vehicle for MOT one calendar month before the date the current MOT expires and the date will run from the original expiry date. As mine below.

Attached Files

#3 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:43 AM

Sorry i wasnt very clear on the first post. I have edited it.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

also note if you do take use of the extension the car must still comply with the rules of the road.

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:33 PM

Glad i got mine done last week.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

"Vehicle owners will be granted a 6-month exemption from MOT testing, enabling them to continue to travel to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home, or shop for necessities.
All cars, vans and motorcycles which usually would require an MOT test will be exempted from needing a test from 30 March 2020. Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition, and garages will remain open for essential repair work. Drivers can be prosecuted if driving unsafe vehicles.
Allowing this temporary exemption from vehicle testing will enable vital services such as deliveries to continue, frontline workers to get to work, and people to get essential food and medicine.
Legislation will be introduced on March 30 and will come into immediate effect for 12 months, following a short consultation with key organisations. Drivers will still need to get their vehicle tested until the new regulations come into place, if they need to use it.
If you can’t get an MoT that’s due because you’re in self-isolation, the Department for Transport is working with insurers and the police to ensure people will not be negatively affected as a result of things that are out of their control.
Practical driving tests and annual testing for lorries, buses and coaches have been suspended for up to 3 months."
Full Details here:-
https://www.gov.uk/g...nst-coronavirus

#7 DavieW

DavieW

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:19 PM

I can see a huge backlog after the 6 month exemption leading to a lot of cars not being tested and therefore not being able to be taxed. 

I have also heard that the cars tested that were exempted will only be issued with 6 months expiry dates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users