#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:24 PM

"Vehicle owners will be granted a 6-month exemption from MOT testing, enabling them to continue to travel to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home, or shop for necessities.
All cars, vans and motorcycles which usually would require an MOT test will be exempted from needing a test from 30 March 2020. Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition, and garages will remain open for essential repair work. Drivers can be prosecuted if driving unsafe vehicles.
Allowing this temporary exemption from vehicle testing will enable vital services such as deliveries to continue, frontline workers to get to work, and people to get essential food and medicine.
Legislation will be introduced on March 30 and will come into immediate effect for 12 months, following a short consultation with key organisations. Drivers will still need to get their vehicle tested until the new regulations come into place, if they need to use it.
If you can’t get an MoT that’s due because you’re in self-isolation, the Department for Transport is working with insurers and the police to ensure people will not be negatively affected as a result of things that are out of their control.
Practical driving tests and annual testing for lorries, buses and coaches have been suspended for up to 3 months."
Full Details here:-
https://www.gov.uk/g...nst-coronavirus

#2 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:43 PM

The MOT on my daily runs out 29th - exemption starts 30th. My luck is running true to form!

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:13 PM

I've just SORNed my BMW and my Land-Rover Discovery as I won't be using either now that I can't go out at all. I re-taxed the Cooper S, because it is free, and my wife's Fiesta is still taxed because that is also free and I may need a car to go out late at night to get money from the ATM when there is no-one likely to be anywhere near.

My 1990 Cooper is virtually finished, but I can't get to get it MoT's and won't be using it for the foreseeable future - probably next year now.

I was a bit concerned about getting the Fiesta MoT'd in July, but that won't be a problem now, thank goodness.

#4 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

Mine is due 10th April on the Spi Equinox.
So this means to keep driving it I don't have to get it tested for 6 months?

This is good as we are handling this lockdown with the seriousness it deserves in our house. This is not a drill.

The Equinox is a second car anyway so if this legislation had not come in, I simply would have not driven it until restrictions are lifted. Us going down to one car in a household of 2 is hardly an inconvenience when we are both now working at home anyway.
However, it is good to know that in an emergency, we still legally have the mini available to us to use.

It also means I can do the odd little thing to make sure the car is tip top and the MOT history stays advisory free.

#5 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:31 PM

Ye old faithful Toyota hiace at 165.000 miles strong is due April I was wondering what would happen

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

I re-taxed the Cooper S, because it is free, and my wife's Fiesta is still taxed because that is also free and I may need a car to go out late at night to get money from the ATM when there is no-one likely to be anywhere near.

Take care if you are using money from ATM's and also remember ATM keypads usually have more bacteria and germs than a WC....(also wear the disposable plastic gloves provided at most pumps when filling with petrol or diesel).

The World Health Organisation said banknotes could be helping to spread the disease:-

https://www.kentlive...k-cards-3912474

Edited by mab01uk, 25 March 2020 - 08:02 PM.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:20 PM

I re-taxed the Cooper S, because it is free, and my wife's Fiesta is still taxed because that is also free and I may need a car to go out late at night to get money from the ATM when there is no-one likely to be anywhere near.

Take care if you are using money from ATM's and also remember ATM keypads usually have more bacteria and germs than a WC....(also wear the disposable plastic gloves provided at most pumps when filling with petrol or diesel).

The World Health Organisation said banknotes could be helping to spread the disease:-

https://www.kentlive...k-cards-3912474

What I do is to drive to the ATM at my local petrol station late at night. I put on a pair of latex gloves and insert my card. Then I put in the details using the keypad. Then I remove the gloves and drop them in the bin next to the machine. I retrieve my card and the cash and drive home.

On arriving home I wash my hands, although they have only touched the money. How much risk the bank notes are I don't know, but that is a frailty in the entire prevention process for everyone I guess. Maybe it puts a new meaning on 'laundering cash'!

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:18 PM

Do you get out of your Cooper though?

I'm hoping you don't & also put on your rally coveralls with a helmet for the entertainment of any security camera operatives.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:23 PM

It's a good point about cash, you'd hope they've had the forethought to only load cash points with new notes though they could supposedly wash the plaggy ones. Temperatures about 60 are supposed to kill it so you could risk chucking your tenners in with your whites.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:36 AM

Do you get out of your Cooper though?

I'm hoping you don't & also put on your rally coveralls with a helmet for the entertainment of any security camera operatives.

:D  :D  :D !

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:24 PM

This is the problem, from the food that you buy, collecting your bin, even picking up letters the postie has mailed through your door.

Where do you draw the line??? There are so many things we touch that other people have. That parcel you have just collected etc etc etc. You cannot rely on the person who packaged these things following a certain way of doing things, wearing gloves etc. However therin lies the next rub, so there you are at Amazon, Royal Snail etc, you have been given one pair of gloves to use to help prevent you the wearer from coming into contact with anything nasty. However that pair of gloves has now handled hundreds of letters / parcels. All of that contamination spreading everywhere. (Not blaming these people by the way, its the systems in place)

Anything to do with logistics is going to be like that.

We can only do so much to be careful, we are held at the whim of all others who dont give a stuff!!!

#12 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:29 PM

Don't the virus only last up to 3hrs on a surface? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Along with the helmet and overalls how about some mole flat clamps to take the notes from the dispenser? ?

#13 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:13 PM

Going back to the MOT exemption, drove past SETyres today in Hailsham, open for business as usual including MOT's. So nothing to stop people from going abit earlier to get their cars tested??

#14 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:51 PM

Don't the virus only last up to 3hrs on a surface? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Along with the helmet and overalls how about some mole flat clamps to take the notes from the dispenser?

I've been told up to 7 days on a hard surface, 3 days on cardboard/paper etc. though a BBC article says otherwise: 

But the NIH study found that the Sars-CoV-2 virus survives for longer on cardboard – up to 24 hours – and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless-steel surfaces. (Learn how to clean your mobile phone properly.)

The findings suggest the virus might last this long on door handles, plastic-coated or laminated worktops and other hard surfaces. The researchers did find, however, that copper surfaces tended to kill the virus in about four hours.

But there is a speedier option: research has shown that coronaviruses can be inactivated within a minute by disinfecting surfaces with 62-71% alcohol, or 0.5% hydrogen peroxide bleach or household bleach containing 0.1% sodium hypochlorite. Higher temperatures and humidity also tend to result in other coronaviruses dying quicker, although research has shown that a related coronavirus that causes Sars could be killed by temperatures above 56°C or 132°F (hotter than even a bath scalding enough to cause injury) at a rate of about 10,000 viral particles every 15 minutes.

https://www.bbc.com/...ast-on-surfaces

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

I've read the same,

The virus can survive anything from 3 hours up to 3 days depending on conditions. 

UV light also degrades it so you'd think there'd be some scope there for treating parcels & mail. It's not a recommended method fot the public, so you'd probably need industrial process intensity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users