#16 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:02 PM

Going back to the MOT exemption, drove past SETyres today in Hailsham, open for business as usual including MOT's. So nothing to stop people from going abit earlier to get their cars tested??

"You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Example If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April."

"You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed its MOT.

Example Your MOT is due to run out on 15 May, so the earliest you can get it done is 16 April. However, you take your vehicle for its MOT on 14 April and it passes. This means that the MOT expiry date changes to 13 April the following year."

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

#17 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:12 PM

This is the problem, from the food that you buy, collecting your bin, even picking up letters the postie has mailed through your door.

Where do you draw the line??? There are so many things we touch that other people have. That parcel you have just collected etc etc etc. You cannot rely on the person who packaged these things following a certain way of doing things, wearing gloves etc. However therin lies the next rub, so there you are at Amazon, Royal Snail etc, you have been given one pair of gloves to use to help prevent you the wearer from coming into contact with anything nasty. However that pair of gloves has now handled hundreds of letters / parcels. All of that contamination spreading everywhere. (Not blaming these people by the way, its the systems in place)

Anything to do with logistics is going to be like that.

We can only do so much to be careful, we are held at the whim of all others who dont give a stuff!!!

As you say......where do you draw the line???

Read this below yesterday but which of the many experts 'research' results and news reports are accurate and true?

"People who are receiving packages and parcels should throw away the outside package immediately and then wash your hands.

Anywhere from copper around four hours to stainless steel and plastic two-three days. Cardboard is right down the middle 24 hours is how long it could live on there and still be what we call viable, meaning it could still pass on coronavirus. With the inside package you can do two things: You can let it sit there for 24 hours. It should go away at that point.  If you need it now you can disinfect it on the outside which should help to some extent, but the main thing is once you handle that wash your hands before you touch your face

Traces of new coronavirus were found on the Diamond Princess cruise ship on surfaces in cabins where people who were infected with the virus had stayed, for up to 17 days after they had left, according to a study released Monday."

"A virologist has confirmed that 'every surface is a hazard' when it comes to COVID-19 and supermarket customers should be particularly mindful of the loose fruit and vegetables.

While the virus can live on most surfaces, patrons doing their weekly grocery shop should be particularly wary of the fruit and veg aisle as customers are constantly picking up and placing back down items. We have to remember that every surface is potentially contaminated. And like with any surface there is a risk,' Mr Newsome explained. 'We don't see it as high risk because that comes from sustained contact with other people, but nonetheless it's important to be mindful.' While it would be 'poor practice' to be testing 'every avocado for coronavirus', Mr Newsome did say anything people can touch poses a potential problem.  The best course of action is to wash your fruit and vegetables with soap as soon as you bring them home, not simply relying on the high heat of cooking them to 'kill' the virus. 'Wash them with warm soapy water, just as you do your hands,' he said."

Edited by mab01uk, 26 March 2020 - 06:13 PM.

#18 Norfolk Boy

Norfolk Boy

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:37 PM

I’m taking mine in for MOT tomorrow, just about a month early. Trying to support my local garage as they work on my mini as well, the way things are going some may fall by the wayside also like the peace of mind that it’s legal for at least one day ?

#19 Floyd kraemer

Floyd kraemer

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:37 PM

I got my Mini MOTd today. It passed so all was good.

I checked a few things while I was there and I was told the exemption applies to MOTs that expire after the 30th March. Mine had expired earlier this month, so I definitely needed to get it tested to be legal. So if anyone is on a SORN or without an MoT, then the exemption would probably not apply anyway.

It was all a bit bizarre keeping 2 metres away. They set me up with a nice chair just outside the workshop. As it was a nice sunny day they kept the doors open so that I could watch from a safe distance. To be safe they have been told not to give out certificates... so I need to print my own. But they did give me a credit card receipt!!

It all felt very weird... but all seems well and my Mini is safe for me to drive for my food and medical shopping.

#20 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:46 AM

My MOT expired on the 30th of March. It shows as expired but I believe it has been extended. Phew!

#21 JVA10L

JVA10L

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:09 AM

My MOT expired on the 30th of March. It shows as expired but I believe it has been extended. Phew!

I think you should check that carefully. I believe the extension is for MOT's expiring AFTER 30th March. Yours might not get the exemption.

#22 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

I think you should check that carefully. I believe the extension is for MOT's expiring AFTER 30th March. Yours might not get the exemption.

No, he's good, I checked. The use of "from" can be misleading, but

"This page tells you what happens if your... MOT expiry date is ON or after Monday 30 March 2020."

https://www.gov.uk/g...m-30-march-2020

#23 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:11 PM

I thought the system was to automatically update with the new expiry date if it had been extended?
If it shows as expired then I'd take that as it means it has expired - that's what the Police will see if they run an NPR check!

#24 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:19 PM

I thought the system was to automatically update with the new expiry date if it had been extended?
If it shows as expired then I'd take that as it means it has expired - that's what the Police will see if they run an NPR check!

I’m guessing that the update will be about as timely and well organised as the PPE supplies to the NHS.
The fact that it’s been published on a gov.uk page would quash any attempt to prosecute.

#25 JVA10L

JVA10L

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:12 PM

No, he's good, I checked. The use of "from" can be misleading, but

"This page tells you what happens if your... MOT expiry date is ON or after Monday 30 March 2020."

https://www.gov.uk/g...m-30-march-2020

Yes you're right, my mistake, it's ON or after. I read it as AFTER 30th.

#26 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:22 PM

I’m guessing that the update will be about as timely and well organised as the PPE supplies to the NHS.
The fact that it’s been published on a gov.uk page would quash any attempt to prosecute.

But the same Government page also has this get out clause:

Check your MOT expiry date has been extended

Your MOT expiry date will usually be updated on the day your MOT is due to expire. However, it might be done up to a few days before.

You can check your MOT history to see when your MOT expiry date has been extended. Keep checking back if your new expiry date is not showing yet.

#27 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, that "will usually be updated" is about as slippery as a politician's promise, and what are you meant to do, re: driving, while you

"Keep checking back if your new expiry date is not showing yet."

Nevertheless, I think they'd struggle to take action against anyone on the strength of what they've published.

#28 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:18 AM

It's showing up as extended now :)

#29 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

Do you get out of your Cooper though?

I'm hoping you don't & also put on your rally coveralls with a helmet for the entertainment of any security camera operatives.

And steal a chicken while youre at it!  ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users