Photo
- - - - -

Best Value Battery Impact And Ratchet Tool?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

I'm looking at buying some in the near future and was wondering if anyone can recommend any?

I'm looking for some that's good value but obviously want them to be fairly durable. Since working on the mini lately I want to try and make jobs a little easier and quicker.

#2 andy3lliott

andy3lliott

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:55 PM

iv got a small 3/8'' milwaukee m12 brilliant but not powerfull enough for the bigger jobs i use it for buzzing up the bigger stuff (ball joints etc) then torque them up

i used to have a cheap ebay 1/2'' one was actually really good but was stolen since then iv been using my 110v hilti 1/2'' very powerfull but not as handy as battery powered

i have been meaning to replace it but properly going to bite the bullet and buy milwaukee fuel 18v expensive but brilliant around £450 as

iv used makitas they have one to suit any budget more expensive you go the more powerfull

my advice really would be look at what battery tools you already have then you are just adding to you collection and have spare batterys etc.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:50 PM

Look at the range available and then buy into the battery type that has tools you will buy as most kits come battery less. Or a starter kit may come with two. 

I have been using Worx for quite some time now.

#4 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:39 AM

+1 for Worx. I think it was Nick who recommended them when I asked on here.

Great for general power tools, but also daft things like garden strimmer (only £35 when you already have the batteries and charger). You can even buy a lawnmower. Great kit. Powerful 20V brushless drill with two batteries and charger was reasonable price too compared to bigger names (around £100 I think). So powerful compared to my old Black & Decker it replaced.

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

The best value ones, are the ones that you borrow..............................................................................

#6 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:29 PM

As you mention impact and ratchet I’m assuming that you’re looking at a 3/8” system? In that case the battery type isn’t an issue as non of the 3/8 systems will share battery type with drills, saws etc. I bought a Sealey CP1202 before xmas and it’s proved to be perfect for jobs where the 1/2” impact driver won’t fit or jobs where you’re undoing a number of bolts where even a speed driver becomes tedious. On a Mini it’d be ideal for undoing the gearbox bolts or clutch cover.

The larger 1/2” Milwaukee stuff uses batteries shared with other stuff but I get the impression that you don’t want to spend that much?

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:38 PM

As you mention impact and ratchet I’m assuming that you’re looking at a 3/8” system? In that case the battery type isn’t an issue as non of the 3/8 systems will share battery type with drills, saws etc. I bought a Sealey CP1202 before xmas and it’s proved to be perfect for jobs where the 1/2” impact driver won’t fit or jobs where you’re undoing a number of bolts where even a speed driver becomes tedious. On a Mini it’d be ideal for undoing the gearbox bolts or clutch cover.

The larger 1/2” Milwaukee stuff uses batteries shared with other stuff but I get the impression that you don’t want to spend that much?

the Milwaukee 3/8 and 1/2 use the same batteries. but i dont really see the need for a powered ratchet. only usrd my air one about half a dozen timed in 15 years.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:44 PM

As do Makita. And no doubt others.

#9 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:53 PM

the Milwaukee 3/8 and 1/2 use the same batteries. but i dont really see the need for a powered ratchet. only usrd my air one about half a dozen timed in 15 years.

Interesting Nick, do those batteries work with the 1/2  impact drivers, drills and saws too?

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:26 AM

Interesting Nick, do those batteries work with the 1/2  impact drivers, drills and saws too?

They can. Visit their web pages. IIRC the tools are basically grouped by battery type.  The tools are not interchangeable with other Versions of their battery types.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:35 AM

What I do find interesting is that the ratchet that MCM use from Ryobi is only available in the Aus market. Even though their parent company also owns Milwaukee.

And I don’t know who makes the one for Tool Pro even though the Tool Pro drills are made by the parent company of Worx.

and when I asked Worx if they were going to do one they said their market was not the auto trade............ no comment.

#12 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

They can. Visit their web pages. IIRC the tools are basically grouped by battery type.  The tools are not interchangeable with other Versions of their battery types.

Thanks Nick. While they do interchange, sticking a 4ah battery on a 3/8 ratchet is going to make a pretty unwieldy tool due to the weight and the size, so I still think that a battery impact ratchet is better purchased with it's own compact battery system.. I bought into the Ryobi One system about 10 years ago and find them excellent value for money, I only use one capacity of battery (4ah).

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:50 AM

Thanks Nick. While they do interchange, sticking a 4ah battery on a 3/8 ratchet is going to make a pretty unwieldy tool due to the weight and the size, so I still think that a battery impact ratchet is better purchased with it's own compact battery system.. I bought into the Ryobi One system about 10 years ago and find them excellent value for money, I only use one capacity of battery (4ah).

They do smaller rated batteries with the same fitting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users