Photo
- - - - -

Hand Brake Quadrant Clevis Pin

Best Answer baop , 28 March 2020 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, lots of soaking and it's just released, big hammer & drift, will drill a hole for the engine oil and put it back on the car, maybe a month or two before I get the new pins and quadrants I reckon!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 baop

baop

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:51 AM

Giving my rear suspension a birthday, I've got my quadrants moving nicely but in reality there's quite a bit of play so I'm thinking of renewing the Clevis Pin and Quadrant, has anyone got any magic methods to remove the properly rusted clevis pin to save me drilling it out?

many thanks

Carl

Edited by baop, 28 March 2020 - 05:47 PM.

#2 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:22 PM

A bit of play in the quadrant pin is good. It is less likely to seize if it can wobble a bit.

#3 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

I removed these the other day with some wire brushing, penetrating fluid and a big hammer, the radius arms were off the car however so I had a lot of room to attack them.

One word of warning, the arms are hollow, so make sure any drift you use is long enough that it is not going to fall into them if you suddenly get a lot of movement.

That is a lesson I have learnt the hard way.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:59 PM

When (if) you replace the pin, drill a hole in the top curved part of the radius arm, about where the shoulder of the tyre would be, and squirt in some old engine oil before plugging the hole.

This lubricates the pin and the quadrant below it.

#5 baop

baop

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:12 PM   Best Answer

Thanks for the replies, lots of soaking and it's just released, big hammer & drift, will drill a hole for the engine oil and put it back on the car, maybe a month or two before I get the new pins and quadrants I reckon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users