11 replies to this topic

#1 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

Hi, thinking further down the line to upgrading dampers. The question I have is how much do you need to lower a car before you require specific low dampers? I'm not looking to go crazy but what's the difference measurement wise from standard
Cheers

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:33 PM

Here you go.

https://www.calverst...damper-lengths/

#3 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

Here you go.
https://www.calverst...damper-lengths/

Cheers nick, so how does this relate to ride height? How much can you lower a car on standard dampers?

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:48 PM

The problem you get is when the rears are dropped the cones and Hilo’s can be separated.

#5 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:57 PM

The problem you get is when the rears are dropped the cones and Hilo’s can be separated.

So don't drop a car at all? Not even 10mm for lower center of gravity?
Ta

#6 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:23 PM

Hi, thinking further down the line to upgrading dampers. The question I have is how much do you need to lower a car before you require specific low dampers? I'm not looking to go crazy but what's the difference measurement wise from standard
Cheers

I have run mine at three fingers between tyre and arch on Kabaya Gas A Justs, for years,  without any issues.

#7 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:11 PM

Cheers

I have run mine at three fingers between tyre and arch on Kabaya Gas A Justs, for years, without any issues.
I had the 3 finger setting too. I had some gaz lowered dampers. But I would recommend the kayaba gas adjust because they have the lowest compressed distance between the top and bottom damper mount on the standard set which is what you want.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:23 PM

Cheers

I have run mine at three fingers between tyre and arch on Kabaya Gas A Justs, for years, without any issues.
I had the 3 finger setting too. I had some gaz lowered dampers. But I would recommend the kayaba gas adjust because they have the lowest compressed distance between the top and bottom damper mount on the standard set which is what you want.

But why? If you are lowering you want the shortest open length. The closed length does not want to be too short or you will find tyres hitting arches.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,399 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:36 AM

As you can see from Nick's link calling 'em "lowered" is kinda subjective. Wait until the suspension's set up and settled:

On  the rear, when it's fully extended, you still want it to hold the rubber cone compressed a little to be pressing on the trumpet enough to stop them falling apart. You wouldn't want that to happen  out on the road if the tyre lost contact with the tarmac.

On the front you'd want to be hitting the bump & rebound stops before the dampers run out of travel - it's a simple matter of measuring the distance between the mounting pins.

#10 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:35 PM

Cheers

I spoke to minispares on this,they said only fit the shorter dampers if running 10inch wheels and lowered,
Standard length for lowered on 12/13 inch wheels

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:35 PM

Cheers

I spoke to minispares on this,they said only fit the shorter dampers if running 10inch wheels and lowered,
Standard length for lowered on 12/13 inch wheels

sorry that is poor info. it all depends on how low you go. and what you have done to facilitate this.

#12 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:05 PM

OK lads I think I'm a little clearer thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users