#1 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:27 AM

Hi All,

Looking at reorganising my garage to maximise my space but looking for really good ideas.................

Have my mini, thinking of squeezing in my project mini and general house items.

Its a good side 9ft by 20ft ish - 3 sections of racking, bike and fishing gear attached to walls so already thinking I have the most amount of space but its going to be tight putting another car in.

Any ideas/pictures of your spaces?

Thanks  

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:53 AM

How tall is it?

Is there enough room to put a loft in?

#3 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:22 PM

How tall is it?

Is there enough room to put a loft in?

Unfortunately not -  its around 8ft high (I think) 

#4 Verderad

Verderad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:54 PM

I have a long high level shelf, it's positioned so I can get those large plastic boxes with lids. 

Not got any of those, its just stacked with boxes and car parts.  

Good use of space and cleared the floor around the car. 

#5 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:10 PM

Mezzanine? Did something similar but don't have a picture.
You could have one mini under it and all the stuff above it. Not ideal for working (impossible) but maximizes the volume efficiency. Have it just above the mini hight so to use maximum hight.

#6 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

The best way to maximise working area is to not have lots of clutter in there. I'm speaking from experience. My garage is about 12x20ft with a pit and I still trip and kick clutter. I get very pee'd off sometimes and vow to chuck everything out but I had to throw away things I might use one day. I'm planning on building a new C shaped work bench with high level storage to maximise the working space. It doesn't help having an engine stand and hoist in there.

20200227_173519_zps0zx316va.jpg

#7 CK's mini

CK's mini

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:29 AM

Buy a shed or hire a garage for long term storage, high level shelving as previously said, hanging things from the walls and ceiling, then a workbench with room underneath to put tool boxes. I'm lucky i have a garage with a pitched roof so i boarded it out and use the loft area for storage but this can also be done in the house. Most importantly throw stuff that isn't going to be used away.

#8 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:09 PM

When I redo minr I'm thinking of making a mount on my work bench to take the engine stand bracket so I can ditch the stand part.

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

When I redo minr I'm thinking of making a mount on my work bench to take the engine stand bracket so I can ditch the stand part.

Don't know which engine stand you have, but I shortened min as it was far too long for a transverse mounted A series.

Bench mount work well if its planned - otherwise sods law says it'll stop you getting to something you need under your bench half way through the build!

I remove the black section from my hoist - saves a few inches that you walk into!

#10 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:24 PM

I only have a small 16ft x 8ft garage. As my garage has a pitched roof I’m thinking of getting some ramps so that I can store a second mini in there, one underneath the other. I’ve seen stacker systems used for parking cars in Boston MA when I visited a couple of years back.

I also have to live with the tumble drier and freezer in there.

One good thing is I have a fold away bench which is mounted against the wall. I can’t quite use it with the car in there too though but it’s very handy with a vice installed etc.

Other that that ive got high level storage shelves and hang as much on the walls as possible.

I’d like to move house to gain a bigger garage / workshop but the missus isn’t having any of it.

Edited by Minigman, 31 March 2020 - 06:29 PM.

#11 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:19 PM

Don't know which engine stand you have, but I shortened min as it was far too long for a transverse mounted A series.
Bench mount work well if its planned - otherwise sods law says it'll stop you getting to something you need under your bench half way through the build!

I remove the black section from my hoist - saves a few inches that you walk into!
This one... I might even cut the stand upright off the base and mount it on one of the new bench legs

20200331_200653_zps17qiosf0.jpg

#12 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:14 AM

From experience, I find it useful to be absolutely ruthless with getting rid of clutter.
In the past I've been known to keep the mini on the drive and work on it on the drive because the garage is full of stuff too precious to part with (read 'garbage')

#13 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:19 AM

Thanks all,

Think I will start with some high level shelving and move around the racking to gain some more space......

Hopefully 2 minis will fit and if they don't I will look into an external cover  :ohno:

Cheers 

#14 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:24 PM

20200402_235756_zpskkfcx3i2.jpg

20200402_235809_zps14nak7nk.jpg

This is what I mean with clutter!

#15 MacGyver