Photo

Help ! 1275 Spi Rebore, What Else At The Same Time?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:11 AM

So I'm planning to pull my engine out for a rebore as the block is pretty worn and, well why not right. But the questions is what else should I plan to do while we're in there as budget is of course a concern and I need to work out how much to ask my wife for....

on the list so far...

Rebore

New Pistons

Cam shaft

Followers

Oil Pump

Gearbox rebuild

The head has already been worked, 1.5.1 rockers, K&N induction kit and a decent exhaust system.

Am I missing any 'Must Do' work while the engine is in pieces?

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

Check the crank for wear, possible regrind, new camshaft bearings. If its all apart its worth looking at getting everything balanced as well.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:36 AM

So I'm planning to pull my engine out for a rebore as the block is pretty worn and, well why not right. But the questions is what else should I plan to do while we're in there as budget is of course a concern and I need to work out how much to ask my wife for....

on the list so far...

Rebore

New Pistons

Cam shaft

Followers

Oil Pump

Gearbox rebuild

The head has already been worked, 1.5.1 rockers, K&N induction kit and a decent exhaust system.

Am I missing any 'Must Do' work while the engine is in pieces?

Please tell us what Mini engine you are reconditioning.

#4 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:29 AM

It's a 1994 Cooper SPI 1275cc, head has been ported flowed and inlet valves are bigger. K&N induction kit, Maniflow single box exhaust with CAT

#5 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:33 AM

Check the crank for wear, possible regrind, new camshaft bearings. If its all apart its worth looking at getting everything balanced as well.

Hi Neil,

I'm new to pulling apart engines so I'm trying to get a battle plan together before getting started, i also need to work out costs as budget isn't limitless.

I know it needs a rebore and i plan to do the cam at the same time, outside of that I'm trying to really nail down what additional stuff to do.

I was talking to crafted classics earlier on and they suggested that other than a decent flywheel, should leave balancing ect unless you're going the whole hog...

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:38 PM

Hi Neil,

I'm new to pulling apart engines so I'm trying to get a battle plan together before getting started, i also need to work out costs as budget isn't limitless.

I know it needs a rebore and i plan to do the cam at the same time, outside of that I'm trying to really nail down what additional stuff to do.

I was talking to crafted classics earlier on and they suggested that other than a decent flywheel, should leave balancing ect unless you're going the whole hog...

Thats fair enough about the balancing, it was just a thought with everything apart and if it was within your budget.

The biggest thing is to make sure the crank is good and the wear is minimal. With it all apart i would put that very high on the list of things to be done. No point spending money on a rebore etc only to find the crank is out of limits and needs a regrind and new bearings.

#7 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:58 PM

Hi Neil,

Thats fair enough about the balancing, it was just a thought with everything apart and if it was within your budget.

The biggest thing is to make sure the crank is good and the wear is minimal. With it all apart i would put that very high on the list of things to be done. No point spending money on a rebore etc only to find the crank is out of limits and needs a regrind and new bearings.

I was quoted over £1k to do the crank and had crossed this off my list of to do's....

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 01:43 PM

Hi Neil,

I was quoted over £1k to do the crank and had crossed this off my list of to do's....

What for a crank regrind and new shells?? or for a balance with regrind and shells

#9 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:41 PM

Hi Neil,

What for a crank regrind and new shells?? or for a balance with regrind and shells

to be honest after hea said 1k i stopped listening but pretty sure it was for balanced and ground ect, he went on to say he wouldnt bother balancing components unless going for a very top end build...

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:29 PM

Well ignoring the balancing you do need to get the crank checked out otherwise it’s a bit of a false economy.

I can recommend Ian OZ Osbourne of OAP for his engine work. Cannot fault him and his builds are pretty special. He is on here as it goes. And he’s not expensive either.

#11 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:23 PM

Well, it all depends on the state of the motor. Do you know how the oil pressure was? Did you perform a compression and leak down test? Assume compression is down and that is why you need a rebore but that could mean other things are not as mint as they should be. 

If you are doing the cam, you should be installing new cam bearings while you are in there. 

As stated, your crank is super critical and needs to be check. Call around or contact the mentioned builder above. It just NEEDS to be looked at while out or what is the point of the putting money into the rest of the motor. 

#12 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:15 PM

Well, it all depends on the state of the motor. Do you know how the oil pressure was? Did you perform a compression and leak down test? Assume compression is down and that is why you need a rebore but that could mean other things are not as mint as they should be. 

If you are doing the cam, you should be installing new cam bearings while you are in there. 

As stated, your crank is super critical and needs to be check. Call around or contact the mentioned builder above. It just NEEDS to be looked at while out or what is the point of the putting money into the rest of the motor. 

Hi Brivinci,

compression is down on 2 about 20% below the others haynes says this could be the cam, i had the head off recently and the bores did look worn but not scored, i also have a very noisey tappet which i can't get rid of by adjusting again makes me think cam is iffy so going to upgrade that while i'm there. I had a leak down test but struggled to get to grips with it as i'm not sure my compressor was up to the job.

Appreciate the advice on the crank will do more research on costs...

#13 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:08 PM

I'll take a leap here and say that the 2 low compression cylinders were 2 and 3 (the middle 2)?

#14 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:47 PM

I'll take a leap here and say that the 2 low compression cylinders were 2 and 3 (the middle 2)?

It was 2 that was down 20% less than the rest, which were spot on

#15 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:25 AM

I have just finished a similar rebuild and threw in a new clutch and lightened flywheel from MED. I highly recommend it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users