Photo

Spi Engine Cuts Out Randomly

Best Answer Jilksy , 14 April 2020 - 12:35 PM

The fuel filter and inertia switch are now changed and it seems to have done the trick so a big thank you to all. In my quest to fix the problem I also changed the plugs and plug leads. when the old plugs came out one of them was definately not correct as it had half the thread length as the rest and so was operating in a little tunnel so the wee thing is now running much more sweetly.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Jilksy

Jilksy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:26 PM

Hi There I'm new to minis. Have had my sidewalk since october last year and on the engine so far I have replaced all the vacuum lines which sorted out all erratic running problems. mostly it runs fine but occasionaly the engine cuts out completely, if i am going at some speed often it will cut back in again before I come to a halt, but if it cuts while stationary it will not start again for a few minutes. the engine will crank over ok so I don't think the battery earth is at fault. I used to think it had something to do with the alarm/immobiliser but now i'm not so sure.  

Jilksy

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:42 PM

if it cuts while stationary it will not start again for a few minutes. the engine will crank over ok

When this happens, can you hear the fuel pump running (like it does when you first turn it on after it's been standing)?

#3 Jilksy

Jilksy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for your reply  I'm pretty sure that the fuel pump is running when it fails to start,

#4 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

I had a problem with my SPi where it would randomly cut out and sometimes restart and other times it took a little while before it started again. It turned out to be the starter relay in the relay pack( sits on top of the brake servo bracket) unfortunately a new one is expensive particularly if it turns out not to be at fault. Hopefully someone more experienced than I will know how to test it. Good luck

#5 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for your reply  I'm pretty sure that the fuel pump is running when it fails to start,

Assuming that it's like mine, an MPi (not, necessarily, a safe assumption), it, on cold start up should run with ignition on and then stop, once fuel is up to pressure. If it's running, after a cutout, that'd point to a fuel delivery problem.

#6 Jilksy

Jilksy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:33 PM

Thanks Redruby I was going to check out the distributor cap, HT leads, and coil, but i'll look at the starter relay as well. Quinlan Mine is an SPI which has a lower pressure fuel system. I get the feeling that the fueling is OK because of the on off nature of the fault. Thank you both for your help.

#7 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:13 AM

Could it be a clogged fuel filter? When was the filter last changed? If no record of a change from PO might be worth doing anyway.

#8 Jilksy

Jilksy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Matthews dad I will check that out as well.

#9 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:09 AM

it could be the cut off switch (or roll over switch) mine was playing up on bumpy roads, so i removed the switch and connected the two points together

#10 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:18 AM

Mine did the same in all fairness. Changed vacuum lines, sensor under injector housing, fuel tank electric connections were a little ropy and I also did the fuel filter. 

It hasn't done it since - so touch wood one of the above did the job lol!

I also did the reset on the ECU which someone suggested

#11 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:56 AM

It could be fuel or ignition, if the rev counter drops to zero immediately its ignition ,if if drops slowly with engine speed probably fuel. I have seen the inertia switch develop an intermittent fault the cuts the fuel pump out randomly. 

#12 Jilksy

Jilksy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:21 PM

Wow! This is my first post and i'm blown away with the amount of advice and help from you all. I am starting to suspect that it might be the fuel system because the rev counter does not drop to zero during an incident. THanks VIZ139 for that one. I had a look at the filter and it didn't look like it had been changed recently if at all. Ade-Cooper could you advise me how to do the reset on the ECU I'll try changing the filter and inertia switch and see how that goes. Thanks again everyone

#13 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:34 AM

Wow! This is my first post and i'm blown away with the amount of advice and help from you all. I am starting to suspect that it might be the fuel system because the rev counter does not drop to zero during an incident. THanks VIZ139 for that one. I had a look at the filter and it didn't look like it had been changed recently if at all. Ade-Cooper could you advise me how to do the reset on the ECU I'll try changing the filter and inertia switch and see how that goes. Thanks again everyone

Taken of another discussion - I assume you have checked all the vac pipes and rubber connectors under throttle body and check the stepper throttle mechanism sometimes you need to do this before you try and start the engine just turn the key to 1 position depress the throttle 6 times to reset the ECU a tip from an old mechanic then start the car.

Made mine run a lot better - even though it might only be the stepper reset???

#14 Squipper

Squipper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:32 PM

Also ECU automatically resets if you disconnect battery and leave for an hour or so.  Resets to original factory settings and then when you next start, relearns.  :highfive:

Edited by Squipper, 02 April 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#15 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

Changing the original fuel filter can be a pain in the proverbial, which is why many aren't changed. Rover used a type with screw in connections like the link below and the connections rust solid, couple this with a potentially rusty holder and queue swearing.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

In the end I swapped mine for a generic push fit type of the right dimensions for easier changing. This means running new rubber fuel hoses from the tank to the filter though, not a massive job really but fiddly. Worth every minute for the ease of filter change later though.

The dimensions of the filter will be written on it so you can find one suitable. I seem to recall that a one for a Citroen Saxo (or mk3 Astra) is what I got for mine. Diameter is 55mm. Something like this, I think I fitted. Cheaper too.

https://www.onlineca...uel-filter.html

Edited by humph, 02 April 2020 - 05:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users