#1 nickowen

nickowen

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local Club: Looking for one

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:25 PM

Please could someone shed some light on a issue that I cannot seem to cure. 

I have a 1998 fully rebuilt, 1293cc Cooper sports pack with stage 3 head, 1.5 roller tip rockers, fuel pressure regulator, 52mm burlen metal throttle body, 3 branch manifold LCB, 3 inch fletcher exhaust and a k and n panel filter. Newly rebuilt gearbox with x pin diff and central oil pick up. 

My issue is that the revs hang for a second or two on overrun. It is really annoying as when you dip the clutch the revs do not drop instantly, so it feels like you are slipping the clutch slightly. 

Other than the above the car runs superbly with lots of power, no flat spots and very responsive. 

The spark plugs are relatively new and are quite black and sooty, except for the electrode being grey.

The mini has been put on a snap on reader and only came up with the usual faults that are not applicable to the mini. (Ambient air temp, and another that I can’t remember but I think it was an oil related fault that is not applicable)

The throttle cable is new and not sticking.

The throttle body is new and is not sticking.

Throttle pedal has full movement and the spring is returning it fully.

I have fully cleaned the IAC valve and renewed the o rings on the IAC and the plastic housing that attaches to the throttle body.

I have checked for air leaks but cannot find any and the pipe work is quite new (less than 3k miles)

The only way I can I stop the revs hanging is to disconnect the IAC valve, then the car runs perfectly except you have to give it a couple of revs when starting from cold as I have now disabled this feature. I do not like the idea of making this a permanent feature so I would like to fix it without wasting money on items that do not fix it.

Please could someone advise if the Rev hang is normal with the MPI or if not, advise what else I could check to cure this.

Thanks very much Nick

Attached File  9514B0BB-73BD-4568-82F8-0DD4006D0911.jpeg   55.14K   1 downloads

#2 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:18 PM

Rev hanging isn’t normal for mpi’s

I would guess it’s your iac that is the issue as it goes when disconnected

#3 nickowen

nickowen

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:33 AM

Thanks Craig, I have just ordered a new one so I will let you know how I get on.

should be here by Tuesday next week.

#4 g0myw

g0myw

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:39 PM

Hi NickOwen,

did the IAC make an improvement for you.?

I'm having a similar situation. And done all that you have..

Anyone got comments on replacing the Plastic throttle body with a proper metal one ?

#5 nickowen

nickowen

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:05 PM

Hi, the new iac made no difference whatsoever, so I bought a diagnostic from Pscan and reset the stepper motor. This involves adjusting the idle control screw which everyone says do not adjust unless you have a diagnostic.  It is now set at about 37 steps and runs perfectly. If you are anywhere near the south coast, I am more than happy to plug it in for you. 

#6 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:58 AM

Hi, the new iac made no difference whatsoever, so I bought a diagnostic from Pscan and reset the stepper motor. This involves adjusting the idle control screw which everyone says do not adjust unless you have a diagnostic. It is now set at about 37 steps and runs perfectly. If you are anywhere near the south coast, I am more than happy to plug it in for you.

Hi mate which one is the idle control screw ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users