15 replies to this topic

#1 MiniJimNI

MiniJimNI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:35 AM

I'm currently thinking about planning my speakers out on my rebuild. I'm going to put in speakers to the dash and wondering is it better to create door cards building in my speakers using fibreglass? Or should I create pods to put under the dash tucked in? What's everyone's thoughts?

#2 Jonesy77

Jonesy77

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:59 AM

I've just put speakers in my dash just to save leg space from pods I've some tweeters to install also and hope that will be enough

#3 Norfolk Boy

Norfolk Boy

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:36 PM

I’ve got tweeters in the dash where the air vents should be and pods under the lower dash rail with 5.25” mids in, I’m 6ft tall and have no issues with leg room

#4 andy86

andy86

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Cymru minis

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

I’m just doing the same with mine. I’m putting pods under the dash in custom pods just 3d printing speaker rings now. Then need to work out the bass side of things so thinking small sub under rear seat

#5 Norfolk Boy

Norfolk Boy

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:23 AM

I’ve got a Kenwood powered sub under the back seat does the job nicely.

#6 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

I’ve used metro mk.1 door pockets that have space for a 10cm front speaker and the original Rover speaker holes in the psrvel shelf for a back pair.   All looks ok but not high end.  

#7 andy86

andy86

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Cymru minis

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:10 PM

any pictures on how the Kenwood sub fits under the rear seat. currently only got the front 6.5 components I'm building pods for for the front but not sure that 2speakers will be enough

#8 Wazzah

Wazzah

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:54 AM

I've put a single 6 inch dual voice coil speaker under the dash which accepts left and right stereo inputs along with the rover rears. They tweeters point away from each other to give stereo separation for the mid to high frequencies and share a common cone for the lower frequencies. Did it mainly to get hear the bluetooth hands free from the Pioneer wireless which sends phone calls to the front speakers only. Surprisingly good sound.

#9 Norfolk Boy

Norfolk Boy

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 05:17 AM

any pictures on how the Kenwood sub fits under the rear seat. currently only got the front 6.5 components I'm building pods for for the front but not sure that 2speakers will be enough

If you message me your email address I’ll take one at the weekend I can’t get my head round imgur I’m from Norfolk ?

#10 PaulSmithRich

PaulSmithRich

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:13 AM

I've put a single 6 inch dual voice coil speaker under the dash which accepts left and right stereo inputs along with the rover rears. They tweeters point away from each other to give stereo separation for the mid to high frequencies and share a common cone for the lower frequencies. Did it mainly to get hear the bluetooth hands free from the Pioneer wireless which sends phone calls to the front speakers only. Surprisingly good sound.

Do you have details and photos of this DVC please? I’m looking for something like this for my pioneer head unit. Want to hide it under the dash in my mpi. TIA

#11 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:41 AM

I've had these on mine for more than ten years. They do impinge slightly on tucking your feet in but, to be honest, I don't find it any hassle for a 5' 10" oldster, like me.

https://www.ebay.co....nkAAOSw629gONwf

Attached Files

#12 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:27 PM

I went for the same door pods as Quinlan Minor on mine, bought from boltonbits on ebay but ABS do them too.  I really like them if I'm honest, & I wouldn't change my choice, but have a couple of minor comments below.  The metro pockets are good, I have some of these, but the smaller speaker limits your choice.

• Because the front of the speaker pod is flush with the door pocket the grille sticks out so watch the thickness of the speaker grille mounting, the pod could do with setting back a bit.  I'm 6ft and have to be a bit careful that I don't kick speaker grille getting out of the car, the metro door pockets are a bit more resilient on this front. 
  • I'd also recommend fitting the chrome trim around the top as without it the edges are sharp and you'l l slice you fingers when opening the window.

Before fitting these a previous owner had removed the fresh air vents and replaced with speakers. I couldn't live with this as driving the car any long distance because very hot and uncomfortable.  Re-fitting the vents transformed my enjoyment of the car, but it's a personal thing.

EDIT: Just followed the link above and boltonbits have increased their price significantly, they were £50. ABS are still charging £50 but I've not seen them in the flesh.

Edited by humph, 10 March 2021 - 12:31 PM.

#13 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:57 AM

I've had these on mine for more than ten years. They do impinge slightly on tucking your feet in but, to be honest, I don't find it any hassle for a 5' 10" oldster, like me.

https://www.ebay.co....nkAAOSw629gONwf

Offtopic question, but where'd you get that chrome trim strip from?

#14 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:45 PM

It came with them. They were cheaper back then.

#15 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:05 PM

Offtopic question, but where'd you get that chrome trim strip from?

You can buy the door pockets with or without the chrome strip.

The chrome strip is available from any trim supplier, try carbuildersolutions or woolies. Mine came from eBay, search U profile chrome trim, there are various sizes available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users