16 replies to this topic

#1 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:17 AM

Hi All, I've got 94 cooper spi with 4 spots fitted, appears to be a factory fit. Only problem is there's an intermittent fault they just lose power.

This is probably a silly question but does anyone know what fuse these would be on? I can't work it out from the haynes...

#2 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:48 PM

Checkout page 459 for the diagram. Checkout page 472 for the location of the inline fuse LF14. Be aware that the wire feeding the fuse might be brown and not purple and the fuse is by itself separated from the other inline fuses. I already went through the mess of cutting the wires for the driving lights trying to fix the auxiliary radiator fan brown to purple also LF5.

http://miniscene-unt...anual_92-96.pdf

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:27 PM

Tap the relay and see if they come back on.

#4 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:50 PM

If I could find it........ any pointers?

#5 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the advice, electrics are my kryptonite....

#6 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:55 PM

If I could find it........ any pointers?

Look at page 472 again for the location of the relay. There might be three relays side by side, driving lights (probably center), direction indication lights and the third is probably the front fog lights. 

#7 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:26 AM

It'd be worth the time pulling every relay you can find to clean up the spade terminals and appling a little dielectric grease to the terminals before refitting .... it might solve your problem in which case it doesn't actually matter which one it was! Do the same with the all the fuses. This is pretty well the fastest reliability fix you can do to any Mini!

For info my spotlight relay is mounted on the RH inner wing near the bulkhead ('98 JDM so might be of no use).

#8 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:39 PM

It'd be worth the time pulling every relay you can find to clean up the spade terminals and appling a little dielectric grease to the terminals before refitting .... it might solve your problem in which case it doesn't actually matter which one it was! Do the same with the all the fuses. This is pretty well the fastest reliability fix you can do to any Mini!

For info my spotlight relay is mounted on the RH inner wing near the bulkhead ('98 JDM so might be of no use).

Thanks bobbins, found the relays ! also found a 15amp blade fuse next to them that was fried, replaced it, 2 driver side spots now work.!!!

I'm guessing there's another one for the other 2 spots but can't bloody find it !

#9 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:09 PM

If you have four lights, they are supposed to be two driving/spot lights that come on with the main beam and two fog lights with a separate switch on the dash. Also, if there is a blade fuse, the factory fuse holder was replaced or the lights are not a factory installation.  The two inner lights come on together and the outer lights come on together but not drivers or passenger sides.

#10 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:40 AM

If you have four lights, they are supposed to be two driving/spot lights that come on with the main beam and two fog lights with a separate switch on the dash. Also, if there is a blade fuse, the factory fuse holder was replaced or the lights are not a factory installation.  The two inner lights come on together and the outer lights come on together but not drivers or passenger sides.

That does strongly suggest after market fit then as they deff all come on at the same time as i've had them working on and off for the last year, that said, the wiring is deff part of the loom too?? i've read about the dash switch before but there isn't one in my car.... unless you mean the fog light switch, which doesn't affect my spots...

Edited by dmandan, 05 April 2020 - 06:41 AM.

#11 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:01 PM

The pic is the factory fit, standard bank of relays that manage the 4x driving lamps / fog lamps as fitted to my JDM 97 Cooper. There are to additional fuses too, I think one for the fogs and one for the driving lamps.

As mentioned you can't have all four on at the same time (its too much for the wiring), so the relays cut between the 2x fog and 2x driving lamps depending on what you do with flash/main beam.

The other photo shows the additional (front) fog switch for factory fit 4xlamps, its to the right of the 3x clocks, green lamp switch.

Attached Files

Edited by Pops_Guild, 06 April 2020 - 12:05 PM.

#12 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:31 PM

Check out page 32 of the PDF below. Like Pops_Guild said, the driving lamps and fog lamps are wired independently as shown in the diagram for the MPI. The SPI is wired similarly but there is no official diagram for the fog lights that I know of.  

http://www.theminifo...attach_id=68240

#13 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:51 PM

The pic is the factory fit, standard bank of relays that manage the 4x driving lamps / fog lamps as fitted to my JDM 97 Cooper. There are to additional fuses too, I think one for the fogs and one for the driving lamps.

As mentioned you can't have all four on at the same time (its too much for the wiring), so the relays cut between the 2x fog and 2x driving lamps depending on what you do with flash/main beam.

The other photo shows the additional (front) fog switch for factory fit 4xlamps, its to the right of the 3x clocks, green lamp switch.

I found the relays exactly as per your layout, but there's no switch on the dash, i don't have a dash just the binacle with 3 clocks...

I guess someone has f@&%ed something up in the past....

#14 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:19 PM

I bet a previous owner thought they should all come on together and rewired them, which is why it keeps blowing fuses...

#15 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:17 AM

I bet a previous owner thought they should all come on together and rewired them, which is why it keeps blowing fuses...

Yep, I think it's likely. It's quite a common misconception that a factory-fit bank of 4 lamps should come on together but the wiring isn't built for it. It's possible to do but you need to beef up all the wiring involved. 

Mine we like it (all 4 together) when I bought mine and I had to undo all the hatchet job wiring to get them back to original function, the wires got really hot! I used the MPI wiring diagram that xrockengineer posted, though some of the wire colours were different)

What spots are fitted? That might give a clue as to whether your 4x lamps are factory fit or not. And as you don't have the additional fog lamp switch it could well be that someone has added the other 2 assuming it would be fine to wire them all into the driving lamp circuit.

Much more common to have 2x driving lamps factory fitted, only LE's like the Monte Carlo or Cooper 35th Anniversary (which mine is) had 4x lamps as standard though I think you could have a the additional 2 lamps as an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users