#1 proccy13

proccy13

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:47 PM

Hi all,

This may sound simply but how is there an easy way to remove the airbox (see pics)? I want to drill some extra air holes in it, I do only have one hand at the moment due to surgery by the airbox seems to be fouling on the two locating bolts, carb and bulkhead each time I try and manoeuvre it! Thanks

Attached Files

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:50 PM

It can be a fiddle but it is just a case of removing both thumb screws then lift up slightly then it should just slide off.

On my 1980 Estate I have to install the air box complete. It is so tight I've had to modify the base of the filter box so that it sits down over the fixing thread and can then be turned into place, I even have to remove the plunger on top of the carb to get enough clearance.

Edited by cal844, 03 April 2020 - 12:55 PM.

#3 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:26 PM

I always found if you turn the air box clockwise from the top it helped

#4 proccy13

proccy13

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:47 PM

It can be a fiddle but it is just a case of removing both thumb screws then lift up slightly then it should just slide off.

On my 1980 Estate I have to install the air box complete. It is so tight I've had to modify the base of the filter box so that it sits down over the fixing thread and can then be turned into place, I even have to remove the plunger on top of the carb to get enough clearance.

So I have to remove the 2 bolts holding the top case on with the wing nuts? The bolts seem to be welded to the bracket thats all so cant be removed...

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:51 PM

So I have to remove the 2 bolts holding the top case on with the wing nuts? The bolts seem to be welded to the bracket thats all so cant be removed...

The air box has a lid with two thumb screws that go onto the two threaded portions on the carb elbow and abatement plate.

The base of the air box you have fitted should lift straight up then pulls forward.

#6 proccy13

proccy13

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:14 PM

I can't seem to get enough space to to move it without it hitting the guttering for where the bonnet lid sits into (see pic above)

The air box has a lid with two thumb screws that go onto the two threaded portions on the carb elbow and abatement plate.

The base of the air box you have fitted should lift straight up then pulls forward.

. SO frustrating...

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:50 PM

Ah yes, same issue I have on my Estate. If you can, unscrew the carb elbow from the carb, you may struggle to get a screwdriver bit in there though.

On my car I had to cut a slot in the tab for the carb elbow seal to give the thread slightly more room, I also have to unscrew and remove the plunger from the carb(that black cap in the middle of the filter housing).

#8 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:35 PM

Mines a struggle to get out but i find that once the two wing nuts are undone, lifting the front to approx 45 degrees then pulling out at an angle does the job.

Just a thought but have you checked the engine steady bushes haven't perished? It  could be that your engine is tilting back slightly and therefore reducing clearance.

#9 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:38 PM

Also, what inlet manifold are you using? It looks like quite a deep one which would push your air box further back under the scuttle and restrict space. Just another thought!

Edited by Its a min, 03 April 2020 - 10:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users