Posted 14 April 2020 - 03:12 PM

I think it looks better with arches.. 90’s look doesn’t suit archless imo

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 April 2020 - 11:07 AM

The '90's cars look no different from any other Minis unless they have the horrible 13" wheels fitted with the very wide arch extensions. I saw a 1998 Sportpack on the road recently and thought how dated the extensions made the car look. Again, that is just a personal perception and I realise that some do like them like that.

My 1990 rally car which now has no arch extensions looks fine. I don't like arch extensions for three reasons. The first is aesthetic as I feel the ones without extensions look a cleaner and crisper design, and the second is the fact that when I have rallied in Minis with extensions they sooner or later break off or get torn off. The third is that the propensity to rust is increased even more when holes are drilled in the wings for the extension fixing screws, although this can be reduced by using stainless steel socket head screws into Riv-Nuts, with lots of Waxoyl on the inside of the wings.

#18 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:43 PM

The '90's cars look no different from any other Minis unless they have the horrible 13" wheels fitted with the very wide arch extensions. I saw a 1998 Sportpack on the road recently and thought how dated the extensions made the car look. Again, that is just a personal perception and I realise that some do like them like that.
My 1990 rally car which now has no arch extensions looks fine. I don't like arch extensions for three reasons. The first is aesthetic as I feel the ones without extensions look a cleaner and crisper design, and the second is the fact that when I have rallied in Minis with extensions they sooner or later break off or get torn off. The third is that the propensity to rust is increased even more when holes are drilled in the wings for the extension fixing screws, although this can be reduced by using stainless steel socket head screws into Riv-Nuts, with lots of Waxoyl on the inside of the wings.

Oh I forgot about this forum..

80’s,90’s are completely different in their styling, colour themes.

This car looks pure 88-91. Simples.

It’s my opinion. I forgot how someone can say my opinion is wrong.

Oh and by the way, I have those horrible sportspacks arches and 10inch wheels.

I’m a designer with an Automotive design first. Please tell
me how wrong I am, I’ll get the popcorn.

#19 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:00 PM

which 10 inch wheels actually fit without arches? im asking as Id like to revert next year to archless and a friend of mine has tried some jbw 4.5x10 CSRs with yokohama a008 165s and they poke too much for our Tüv here in Austria. 

Would rose petals work? the standard 4.75x10 with +40 offset and 165s?

#20 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:42 PM

which 10 inch wheels actually fit without arches? im asking as Id like to revert next year to archless and a friend of mine has tried some jbw 4.5x10 CSRs with yokohama a008 165s and they poke too much for our Tüv here in Austria. 

These'll work and you have your 7.5% discount to come off them.

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

#21 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:41 PM

Any 4.5" wide wheel with the same datum offset as the original cars will fit legally without arch extensions.

The ones above from Mini Spares are exactly right.

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:45 PM

What a strange post.

#23 Askari17

Askari17

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:55 AM

So I've just taken the arches off...

C1vDJ79.jpg

I do quite like the new look but I'm still undecided whether I'll stick with this or install group 2's instead... I guess time will tell!

What colour is this mini? it's Beautiful! and archless is looking pretty good on it.

#24 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:32 AM

So I've just taken the arches off... I do quite like the new look but I'm still undecided whether I'll stick with this or install group 2's instead... I guess time will tell!

What colour is this mini? it's Beautiful! and archless is looking pretty good on it.

It's a factory colour called Nordic Blue (colour code JQV) which came standard on the limited edition Mini Neons like mine, as well as some Studio 2s I believe. As you'd imagine the black roof & stripes aren't standard, I'll probably be getting the stripes removed but will keep the roof as I think it sets off the metallic grey-ish blue quite nicely - it's one of those colours that really changes depending on the light which makes it quite interesting!

#25 Askari17

Askari17

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:06 AM

So I've just taken the arches off... I do quite like the new look but I'm still undecided whether I'll stick with this or install group 2's instead... I guess time will tell!

It's a factory colour called Nordic Blue (colour code JQV) which came standard on the limited edition Mini Neons like mine, as well as some Studio 2s I believe. As you'd imagine the black roof & stripes aren't standard, I'll probably be getting the stripes removed but will keep the roof as I think it sets off the metallic grey-ish blue quite nicely - it's one of those colours that really changes depending on the light which makes it quite interesting!

I could swear I was so sure its Nordic Blue, but every mini's shade looks different with the lighting. they usually tend to look more grey, but yours is more blue which I love! I have intentions of painting mine to Nordic Blue with white roof, but the black roof does look interesting honestly. white interior you have going on there?

Look forward to see what else you do to it

#26 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 11:35 AM

That looks great. Love the colour. It would lok fantastic with chrome trim over the wheel arches and along the lower seam.

#27 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

I could swear I was so sure its Nordic Blue, but every mini's shade looks different with the lighting. they usually tend to look more grey, but yours is more blue which I love! I have intentions of painting mine to Nordic Blue with white roof, but the black roof does look interesting honestly. white interior you have going on there?

Look forward to see what else you do to it

I haven't had it next to another Nordic Blue car to compare side-by-side, but it does change quite drastically in different light (and depending on how much dust it's covered in!). I took that photo not long after I did an external detail which really helped to bring out that metallic shine, and I think the black roof does help to set the blue colour off nicely as well.

At the moment the interior is all original light grey except for the mismatched knackered front seats, which are from a late '80s City I think. I've secured a good set of original Neon seats to put back in, which I'm waiting until after the lockdown to go and collect:

jPEEO8x.jpg

There seem to be a fair few of these sets floating around online as I think they're pretty common and possibly not to most people's taste, but I actually like them. The fabric is a lovely soft velour and the colour, much like the Nordic paint, seems to change between blue and grey tones which I think fits the car well.

That looks great. Love the colour. It would lok fantastic with chrome trim over the wheel arches and along the lower seam.

The deluxe chrome trim set I ordered from Minispares arrived a few days, ago which I'm looking forward to seeing on the car... I've just been putting off the actual job of fitting them as I've heard it can be a bit of a pain  >_<

#28 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 10:44 AM

A hairdryer to warm and soften the trim as you are fitting it helps. Just take your time and don't rush it.

#29 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 10:58 AM

A hairdryer to warm and soften the trim as you are fitting it helps. Just take your time and don't rush it.

I've heard that does the trick, but unfortunately I don't have access to a plug socket where I work on the car (shared parking for a block of flats)  :errr: with everything going on at the moment though, one thing I do have on my side is plenty of time!

#30 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:46 AM

Well that was an aggressive response to someone’s opinion...

Maybe better off forgetting the forum again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users