Photo
- - - - -

Ride Height - New Cones

Best Answer baop , 16 April 2020 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the replies - just had few minutes in the garage jacking the one side up and down a few times, fairly happy now, there seems to be a reasonable amount of travel in the suspension and the rebound rubber has eased in nicely with space to spare.

I probably should have been a bit more aggressive with the jack earlier! 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 baop

baop

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:42 PM

After 25 years of sitting on dunlops I felt I needed to replace them on my MK1 850 with new.

Obviously I read lots of posts on a number of forums before buying them early last year but probably bought on price as I felt that the 2 "genuine" reproductions were probably equally as good.

So with the lock down I've finished the birthday on the rear and am half way through the front giving it a disc upgrade as well.

When I put this car together 25 years ago I lowered it an inch by trimming the trumpets.

The rear is some what high which reading other forum topics is probably right with these "genuine one and only std cones" which I've ignored as I understand it should settle.

However I can't slip the upper bump stop into the fronts unless I compress the cone and then it only just goes in, which is alarming.

So I'm looking for some advice from those in the know

Will these cones settle?

or

Do I need to buy a set from the other one and only std genuine cone 93mm supplier - which will leave me feeling a little pissed as I was hoping to use the funds for a new set of wheels & boots.

or

Should I ditch the trumpets for Hi-Lo's - again not in my budget 

or

Should I trim a little more off my trumpets - how far can I go

Many thanks

Carl

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:08 PM

Doughnuts / cones settle, fact of life.............I have never known any, that overtime, didn't settle

I wouldn't cut any more off the trumpet.

I can't get my head round your "upper bump stop" problem.  New doughnuts result in more pressure pushing the top wishbone down, which makes more room for the bump stop.

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:17 PM

I can't get my head round your "upper bump stop" problem.

I'd imagine he's talking about the rebound stops.

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:21 PM

However I can't slip the upper bump stop into the fronts unless I compress the cone and then it only just goes in, which is alarming.

Carl

Do you mean the little bump stops on the 'L' shaped metal mounts?

Those are fitted when there is weight on the wheel (ie. the wheel is not in the air).

Edited by Quinlan minor, 16 April 2020 - 07:50 PM.

#5 baop

baop

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:33 PM

Carl

Do you mean the littlre bump stops on the 'L' shaped metal mounts?

Those are fitted when there is weight on the wheel (ie. the wheel is not in the air).

Yes - the one that slips in under the top arm, sorry yes the rebound stop and with the car on it's wheels but it is just one side down at the mo

Edited by baop, 16 April 2020 - 07:35 PM.

#6 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:02 PM

Take it for a gentle drive, Carl, and the suspension will settle enough to get the rebound stop in.

#7 baop

baop

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:24 PM   Best Answer

Thanks for the replies - just had few minutes in the garage jacking the one side up and down a few times, fairly happy now, there seems to be a reasonable amount of travel in the suspension and the rebound rubber has eased in nicely with space to spare.

I probably should have been a bit more aggressive with the jack earlier! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users