Photo
- - - - -

Inner Cv Pot Joint Stuck.

engine

Best Answer Paulric4 , 19 April 2020 - 05:59 PM

I never used to have problems with these years ago but I've had multiple problems removing them recently.  Some say it's the circlips which are now supplied which aren't the correct profile.  Have a butchers at this thread.  Although it shows some success, I now have another one which won't come off using the bar method.  I'm dreading the day it really needs to come off.  I think it's a sign of the crappy parts quality these days.  And people used to joke about Rover, didn't have these problems then though!

Many thanks for the link, not just me then,  i have had a few issues with part quality recently,  After a couple of cups of coffee and cake, I looked out my bigger hammer, it took a fair few whacks but it did come off.  looking at the link, yes i can understand the problem now, being with the circlips.

Thanks.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paulric4

Paulric4

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:39 PM

Hi guys, i usually find all the information i need thanks to this forum but now i am stuck and about to throw a tantrum, so looking for a bit of advice.

Working with the engine out and the plan is trying to resolve a few oil leaks etc.  I'm in the process of replacing the pots joints, new pot joints and seals.  

Started fitting the first one, and then i start getting that twitchy feel something is not right after the joint has gone as far as it wanted too.

I now can not remove the joint, i have using minispares tool for removing the joints, but no amount of force is making the thing move.  I have a feeling the circlip is not where it should be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on my next move.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

I never used to have problems with these years ago but I've had multiple problems removing them recently.  Some say it's the circlips which are now supplied which aren't the correct profile.  Have a butchers at this thread.  Although it shows some success, I now have another one which won't come off using the bar method.  I'm dreading the day it really needs to come off.  I think it's a sign of the crappy parts quality these days.  And people used to joke about Rover, didn't have these problems then though!

#3 Paulric4

Paulric4

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:59 PM   Best Answer

Many thanks for the link, not just me then,  i have had a few issues with part quality recently,  After a couple of cups of coffee and cake, I looked out my bigger hammer, it took a fair few whacks but it did come off.  looking at the link, yes i can understand the problem now, being with the circlips.

Thanks.

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:06 PM

I think it's also to do with the pot joint not having a chamfer on the inside after the c clip opens up, then theres nothing to start it closing to come out. Theres also a problem in that the shaft diameter is too large on most of the new pot joints, if the diff cover has been re-bushed and bored out to standard size the pot joint won't go into the diff cover >_<

#5 Paulric4

Paulric4

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:42 PM

I think it's also to do with the pot joint not having a chamfer on the inside after the c clip opens up, then theres nothing to start it closing to come out. Theres also a problem in that the shaft diameter is too large on most of the new pot joints, if the diff cover has been re-bushed and bored out to standard size the pot joint won't go into the diff cover >_<

Not having a chamfer inside the pot joint also explains why the original came away with expected necessary force, but the new one fought to stay on.  i wonder if anyone has made a cross section of old versus new.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users