#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 April 2020 - 01:01 PM

"With the absence of traffic on our roads, nitrogen dioxide levels (exhaust fumes) have dropped by more than 50% in some areas. across the UK.
You may have noticed the absence of contrails in the sky as fewer people are flying and with the recent fine weather it may seem the sky is bluer.
Less light pollution at night also makes the night sky appear clearer and full of stars.
People are noticing the bird song which may have been hidden before due to general noise and traffic. The birds have less to compete with now and the dawn chorus can go on way past dawn.
Townies are noticing more bees, birds, squirrels, foxes, even badgers, not just on walks but in gardens too.
Fewer bumble bees are dying by road kill and so more bee colonies are getting off to a good start, but some of the normal food supply for bees and pollinators has gone. Garden centres aren't open, so we aren't buying plants. We are also mowing our lawns, removing dandelions, weeds and wild flowers, which are natural bee forage.The same could be said for other birds and animals. The seagulls aren't as numerous in Newcastle because the food scraps from visitors have ceased and so they're relying on their fish'n'chip leftovers from elsewhere. They might even have to catch their own fish.
Is nature claiming back the city? Some seismologists say human activity has dropped to the lowest point since records began, so maybe it's just the humans that have gone quiet."
https://www.bbc.co.u...reland-52382956

#2 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:53 AM

I’m not an environmentalist by any stretch, but it is good seeing nature fight back for a while. It will all be undone soon enough.

We’ve watched Planet Earth 2 and now going back of Blue Planet. The natural world is fascinating to watch.

#3 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:43 AM

Remember driving on a dusky evening 25 years ago by the time you'd got 10 miles you couldn't see through the front screen for splattered insects. I think that is some thing that will never come back so this hiatus I think is sadly a temporary blip.

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:59 AM

Remember driving on a dusky evening 25 years ago by the time you'd got 10 miles you couldn't see through the front screen for splattered insects. I think that is some thing that will never come back so this hiatus I think is sadly a temporary blip.

Try driving in the West of Scotland. It never went away!

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,899 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:13 PM

My garden is alive with Bees, honey and Bumble bees and it’s good to see them.

As much as I love this and seeing everything around us improve, better air quality, clearer skies and so on it shows what an impact us as the most invasive species on the planet is doing to Mother Nature.

We could do with learning a lesson from all of this. Without a lot of these little creatures we can and will lose valuable food sources.

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:28 PM

Try driving in the West of Scotland. It never went away!

"The west of Scotland".................Have they mapped that bit now ?

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

Just a naughty thought.

If we catch this virus, shouldn't we pass it on ?

Will there ever be a better chance of exterminating so many polluters, without murdering anyone ?

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:41 PM

That is due to two things.  These days car windscreens a so much more aerodynamically angled that the insects get swept over the roof , and there is so much more traffic that we in our Minis can't drive fast enough to splat the insects.

Edited by DeadSquare, 03 May 2020 - 01:42 PM.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:58 PM

That is due to two things.  These days car windscreens a so much more aerodynamically angled that the insects get swept over the roof , and there is so much more traffic that we in our Minis can't drive fast enough to splat the insects.

Speak for yourself  :P  (wishful thinking, unless there's an infestation of kamikaze Drosophila  in my garage...)

The wee beasties wouldn't have been able to take advantage had they not survived the mild winter. Think you're right about the screens, but there's less fly splat everywhere - as a regular cyclist I can even risk a smile. I reckon agriculture has a lot to do with it, there's a huge knock on with bird numbers too.

#10 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:28 PM

Meanwhile the smog alarm went off in belgium during the lockdown and we sont see any air quality improvement. ?‍♂️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users