#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:11 PM

"Victory in Europe Day is generally known as VE Day in the UK and is a day celebrating the formal acceptance of Nazi Germany’s unconditional surrender of its armed forces on 8th May 1945. It was reported that Adolf Hitler, the Nazi leader, had committed suicide on 30th April and during the Battle of Berlin, Germany’s surrender was authorised by Adolf Hitler’s successor, Reichspräsident Karl Dönitz. The act of military surrender was first signed at 02:41 on 7th May in SHAEF HQ at Reims and a slightly modified document was signed on 8th May in Berlin. On 8th May 2020 our nation is remembering VE day during another very difficult period for our country. We are remembering all those who served to win our peace, and all those who gave the greatest sacrifice for our freedom. This is a time when we are facing different threats. More than ever, it is good to remember we have been through difficult times before, and we did it by working together."

"There are many parallels between the struggles of the Second World War and what we are going through today. We look to our Second World War generation to learn from their experiences, and we continue our work to protect them from the threat we currently face. With members of the public unable to attend VE Day 75 events, The Royal British Legion is playing a central role in the delivery of a range of remote activity."

https://www.britishl...vents/ve-day-75

https://rbli.co.uk/veday/

Edited by mab01uk, 29 April 2020 - 01:24 PM.

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:11 PM

One of my earliest memories is of VE Day. I was four-and-a-half at the time and I do recall her joy on that day as she explained to me that the war was over and that my Dad would be home for good soon.

We had a street party with jelly & cake. I started school the next January and it was, by coincidence, the day my dad was demobbed from the RAF and he came and met me from school on that day. 

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:28 AM

I remember VJ day.  When we got on the bus, the Clippy gave me a silver 3d bit

My earliest memory is not of something, but of an absence. 

Although I was only 18 months old, standing with my mother above the shore on the south coast, looking at an angry green sea, I was very aware that something had changed.

It was D day, and all the soldiers that had been camped in front of the house...............................had gone.

I don't remember much about VE day. Mother told me that grandpa celebrated by opening a bottle of brandy at breakfast, and when granny only took a small sip and put her glass down, i grabbed it and gulped it.

Edited by DeadSquare, 05 May 2020 - 05:29 AM.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:58 PM

Some amazing colour films of the VE Day celebrations in this documentary on Ch5:-

VE Day: The Lost Films
"The story of VE Day in 1945, told through the eyewitness accounts and cine films of ordinary people. Rarely seen footage, shot by amateurs and stored away for decades, charts an extraordinary day when the entire nation took to the streets."
https://www.channel5...the-lost-films/

#5 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:42 PM

Today is remembrance day in Holland, this evening at 20:00CET 17mln Dutch remember those who have fallen in WWII. Special thought is given to the brave Brits, Americans and Canadians amongst others who have liberated us from the ugly claws of nazism.

Tomorrow May 5th we’ll celebrate 75 years of freedom. For those of you who have family or friends who stepped up to the plate back then, I hope you’re proud to know there’s an entire nation extremely thankful for their valiant and unselfish efforts. Rest assured they will never be forgotten.

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:08 PM

Today, 4/5/20, should have been VE Day plus 75.

Because she was unable to go up to London to take her Music scholarship, one of my aunts left school in 1939 and was recommended by a School Governor to go and work at Bletchley Park.

By the turn of the war, our listening posts had got to know some of the German cypher operators quirks so well, that in her Hut, they could track the movements of German Divisions.

One of the Enigma would occasionally fail to respond to a letter (Let's call it P) and this machine was tracked all the way to Stalingrad and most of the way back, before it fell silent.

In the last week of the war, when the radio traffic was almost nil, a message with a missing P, claimed that there was last ditch fighting west of Berlin.

Admiral Doenitz had to be in communication with all the remaining German forces in order to surrender.  Because Bletchley were monitoring Russian radio traffic, they at once realised that P was part of a Russian ploy to cause confusion and consolidate ground before the surrender, but of course there was no way that the western allies could hint that they knew this, and until the realisation that there was no real communication with P, filtered up to Admiral Doenitz, the war ran on for another three days.

Edited by DeadSquare, 05 May 2020 - 05:30 AM.

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 01:21 PM

For lunch today, I had two slices of bread and margarine, TWO ! slices of Bully Beef with Spinach, and as a Special VE day treat, a glass of Tizer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users