114 replies to this topic

#91 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:53 PM

Looks superb, make sure you store it in a warm place. My gearbox etc has been tarnished over a few years of storage, going to clean it up with some nylon brushes.

#92 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:35 AM

Looks superb, make sure you store it in a warm place. My gearbox etc has been tarnished over a few years of storage, going to clean it up with some nylon brushes.

Thanks Jase, I sprayed the everything with ACF50 and hope that keeps it clean and mark free. Its covered in sheets in storage at the rear of my garage. The bores were well lubricated, plugs fitted and rockers not setup so all valves are closed. Would you recommend turning it over every now and then or just leave it?? 

#93 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Well, I just left mine there thinking I would come back to a lot quicker, 7 years later and I'm digging it out. I just left it, seems okay but a lot of the alloy has 'corroded' so a bit of work there. I did cover it though so fingers crossed.

#94 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:01 PM

Few more pictures just before putting it away. 

Attached File  IMG_1894.JPG   43.21K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1895.JPG   55.41K   6 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1897.JPG   40.64K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1899.JPG   42.7K   1 downloads

#95 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

Well, I just left mine there thinking I would come back to a lot quicker, 7 years later and I'm digging it out. I just left it, seems okay but a lot of the alloy has 'corroded' so a bit of work there. I did cover it though so fingers crossed.

I have been reading your project and thats a shame with the engine, I might drag mine back out and spray even more ACF50 on it just in case. Never tried the stuff before so i hope it works.

7 years is not that long in a mini rebuild world.. 

#96 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:34 AM

It is cleaning up fairly well, popped it back into the corner though for the winter and lack of time.

#97 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:00 AM

Gear selector unit stripped and prepared for a rebuild. Looks a little better than before 

Attached File  IMG_2221.JPG   41.27K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2244.JPG   58.72K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2205.JPG   41.48K   2 downloads

#98 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:51 PM

??

Edited by Tones61, 30 October 2020 - 08:03 PM.

#99 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:56 PM

CR = volume chamber + volume swept
Divided by volume chamber

CR= vc + vs / vc

?

Edited by Tones61, 30 October 2020 - 08:04 PM.

#100 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:15 AM

CR= vc + vs / vc

I found this a good guide to CR 

#101 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:37 PM

Detail of the car build

Been a little busy trying to tidy the garage and clear all the mess. I have also got slightly distracted by building a second Turbo engine. This time a 998 Turbo. I have so many parts as spares or left over from the last build that it seemed to make sense.. The 998 engine will be fitted to the GT first and tested. The reason for this - 

1. Test the 998 Turbo and all my spares its built from

2. Test a water injection system to cool the air supply 

I must admit I don't really want to test water injection on the 1310 Turbo engine. If it causes issues with the 998 I will scrap the idea and just fit the 1310. 

Two engines but NO CAR  O_O  

I have not really detailed how i intend to build the GT. So here it is - 

I have all new heritage panels to replace almost everything, I also have a old MIG welder and nice new spot welder, all work will be done by me. It will be painted RED as it was originally red. But I have some really bright red I hope looks nice. I will paint it myself. Hopefully I will achieve a decent finish. 

As for the styling I put some thought into this years back and it is a combination of my favourite minis - 

Outside - GT clubman in Red with chrome and Black touches - Sports pack arches modified to fit - Centre exhaust exit - Sports pack 13" wheels possibly in black. 

Inside - Standard GT 3 clock set - Cooper 3 spoke leather wheel with red stitching [managed to get a genuine Rover Turbo badge for it] - Home made dash to replicate the ERA with 6 dials in the centre - Metro Turbo front seats with Metro head rests. These will go off to be recovered once its all built and tested [black leather with red stitching] Again this replicates the ERA front seats [apart from colour] - Standard black door cards - Red carpet - Black head lining - Original wooden GT gear knob

As for the engine - That will be the 1310 Turbo - Very standard build as shown in this thread - Trying to keep to only Leyland - Austin - Rover parts for the entire build. I did mention this at the beginning. Believe me its difficult to stick to.. 

The good news is i already have all of the parts detailed above. All I need to do is crack on with the bodywork. Feb next year should see the start of it, hopefully it wont take too long 

#102 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:49 PM

CR= vc + vs / vc

?

https://jscalc.io/ca...RNEglVkKLQir11T

#103 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:28 PM

What a cracking rebuild. Love what you've done so far - such awesome attention to detail. Hope your health improves and you'll be able to carry on soon.  :thumbsup:

#104 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:47 AM

What a cracking rebuild. Love what you've done so far - such awesome attention to detail. Hope your health improves and you'll be able to carry on soon.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the nice comments. Monday next week I go for surgery and will hopefully be back to full health by Feb or March. I have prepared the 998 Turbo parts ready for me to build when im up to it. Hopefully start the shell in March 2021.. 

#105 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:20 PM

Some pictures of the mini when I first brought it - Known as --ValĂ©ry-- 

Been some time since I updated this thread, busy building the 998 Turbo engine at the min. So long as all goes ok I will start on the body work around April

Here she is 

Attached File  2018-03-04 111538.JPG   44.88K   1 downloads  Attached File  OR 2.JPG   25.41K   1 downloads

Attached File  OR 3.JPG   28.43K   1 downloads

I do not know why these pictures display side ways, I have tried but can not correct it 

Lets just say it didnt look good back in the 90s - Now its worse - Soon I will be able to get to it and update with more recent pictures. Its a big job 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users