#1 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

Hi 

Been a member on here for some time now and have read thousands of threads to assist with the build so far. This site and others has made research and finding correct answers easier. I thank everyone for there help and advice. As i am slowly moving on with my project i thought I would share some of my pictures. Hopefully someone else may find this useful for there project. 

The Project Plan

I spent many years planning how I want my mini to look / drive when its complete. I must admit it has been difficult to not get distracted and go a different route at times. So many options. So the car will be - 

Original 1275 GT [RED] 1977 locally sold from new - owned by me for a VERY long time.

Many years ago I stripped the car completely to bare shell. Lost some bits. Sold more bits. But kept the shell. Stored for a long time. Requires a huge amount of work to make this good again. All panels purchased some years back. Still waiting to carry out body work. Boot floor removed - half floor removed. Lots to do.. 

The engine was sold years ago. This means the car could never be genuine so I have opted to fit a Metro Turbo engine. Found a cheap one years ago on Gumtree and have stored for a long time [in the wardrobe for safe keeping]. The engine was removed and short block and head work done last year. 

My plan is to build a very standard Turbo engine. I know this is not the norm. Owned plenty of minis over the years and sure I will be happy with near 100bhp 

So I have spent many years researching and finding parts to build a standard Metro Turbo engine. That means as many original components if possible. Years of trawling through Ebay has paid off in the end. I think i have all parts. Well nearly. 

My build plan is to only use original Austin / Rover parts for the complete car. Yep. Inside - outside - engine the lot.. There have to be some small allowances - Silicone hoses are not original - Plug leads are not original - cam is not original but thats about it

So here is some details of work so far - 

3 clock set 

Clock set was purchased from ebay - already had the bracket - found on close inspection 2 of the circular surrounds were original - 1 was new slightly tapered style with thinner flat at the front.. Luckily had another set - used 3 newer style units that now match. These were not chrome on the front face - some research led me to a chrome marker pen... Used this and gave chrome effect with good finish. Replaced the fuel gauge and the speedometer as I managed to find NOS on ebay. Cleaned and reassembled. only 1 mile and ready for the car - hope it all works 

Attached File  IMG_0967.JPG   53.86K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0969.JPG   44.72K   3 downloads

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rocker cover

The engine i brought came with standard steel rocker cover. Found a used old Metro Turbo cover on ebay £10.. Bit tatty but not damaged just discoloured - Used paint stripper to remove old lacquer -  spent quite a few hours polishing this but happy with the final result. Used polishing wheels in a battery drill and autosol with old tooth brush 

I have chosen to not lacquer the cover as this looked poor when i got it due to poor lacquer. I have used a protective spray ACF50 that will hopefully keep this looking good

Attached File  IMG_0986.JPG   66.65K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0987.JPG   68.7K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1119.JPG   41.48K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1121.JPG   37.41K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1122.JPG   38.96K   3 downloads

I placed the bonnet catch that has also been refurbished in front of the cover to give a better example of the finish achieved.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would type more but its all just crashed... More to follow later

Edited by Project_1275_GT, 27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM.

#2 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:35 PM

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Clutch Cover [WOK] and Transfer Case

These items came with the engine but had many years of corrosion and so many layers of paint trying to hide it. Generally a mess. Paint stripper - wire wheel in a few spots - the battery drill with polishing wheels - tooth brush and autosol. Many hours of work and it looks good again - Also refurbished the entire unit - new leaver / shaft - new slave cylinder - new everything. The transfer housing is too complex for this type of polishing. I have a small shot blast unit and built a cubicle to blast the housing [glass blast] - I did remove the bearings and seals first. No special tools for removing bearings. 10mm studding - 1 nut at the top - 2 washers with flats filed on them - 2 standard large heavy duty washers - METHOD - 1 nut under bearing outer - drop nut into hole - drop 2 x washers in, turn sideways using the flats to allow them to go behind the bearing - screw studding into nut under washers - large socket over the housing, bigger than bearing outer - 2 washers on the top of the socket - wind nut down to washers - lock two nuts at the top of the studding - 2 x spanners and it pulls out easy 

Attached File  IMG_0988.JPG   76.4K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0990.JPG   96.75K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0991.JPG   80.2K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0993.JPG   58.87K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0995.JPG   59.19K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1018.JPG   46.23K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1021.JPG   46.16K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1036.JPG   50.35K   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1038.JPG   51.54K   2 downloads

Attached Files

#3 tankertanker

tankertanker

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:49 PM

Looks ace 

#4 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:51 PM

What's not to like about this project? A 1275GT with a turbo, good luck with the build

#5 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:53 PM

Gearbox  

I got a gearbox with the engine years back. checked ratio and found not original turbo box 3.44 - should have been 3.2 - got another 998 engine laying around so decided to strip it - came from 1990 studio 2 - records show 3.1 ratio for that car - removed from engine - checked final drive 3.44 

At this point I have accepted my car will have 3.44

Ordered cross pin diff 

Trust washers

Bushes

All bearings [RHP]

Comp baulk rings

Comp lay shaft

Seals 

Gaskets

Gear oil for assembly

Correct grade Duchams oil 

central oil pickup 

As i had two gearboxes in bits now I fully stripped both - took best gears from both to make near as new gear unit - not assembled yet. I have recorded all bearing types and will record all clearances when built. I have opted for using original gears not going for strait cut. I hope this works out but beleive the original gearbox was generally ok apart from the diff. 

I have shot blast the housing and all diff covers - Then sprayed with ACF 50 to protect. No lacquer or paint applied. Wish it was a little shinier but it does look immaculate. I will update this section of the build next week when its together and ready to go.

Attached File  IMG_1042.JPG   60.3K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1044.JPG   46K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1046.JPG   54.28K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1054.JPG   49K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1056.JPG   55.55K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1057.JPG   53.17K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1058.JPG   60.39K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1059.JPG   44.71K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1060.JPG   58.3K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1063.JPG   93.87K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1067.JPG   63.49K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1068.JPG   67.1K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1069.JPG   64.66K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1070.JPG   55.89K   0 downloads

All the cleaning had to be done at home by me.. Covid19 lockdown preventing anyone else doing it. so Mr Muscle oven cleaner - and every other cleaning product the wife had. Thinners to clean oil off gears and soak casing before cleaning with oven cleaner. But in the end it looks like new. 

#6 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the comments. 

AP racing 4 pot calipers 

These calipers came with an old mini that i had and kept for this project. I intend to replicate the ERA turbo parts to make my 1275GT none standard but using original ideas from Rover at the time. So full rebuild required - Stripped and removed all parts possible - found a previously broken bleed nipple - tried to use a torque head to remove [hammered it in the bore to use like a small easy out] Broke on the first attempt to turn - bad plan - after hours of trying to remove the broken torque head it came out - drilled with 5mm drill down the centre - tapped with M6 tapp - minimal material left in the original thread - removed easily with no damage to original thread - Removed old cylinders and seals - cleaned imaculate with wire wheel in drill - cleaned with thinners - Painted and reassembled with all new hoses / nipples 

Attached File  IMG_0944.JPG   41.58K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0945.JPG   40.96K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0946.JPG   33.7K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0947.JPG   47.04K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0948.JPG   56.36K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0951.JPG   59.69K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0953.JPG   51.67K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0972.JPG   41.7K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0973.JPG   49.1K   0 downloads

#7 tankertanker

tankertanker

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

Great progress and fantastic project, putting me to shame , following with interest ...

#8 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the comments. I would say the length of time i have spent collecting and doing this is actually embarrassing. But due to family and money + determined to do it correctly I will not rush... Ive got loads more to upload but that seems to take ages as well  

#9 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:49 PM

Steering column

I think this is from the original mini. but who knows. Either way its had a good refurb. Checked top and bottom bushes. re greased - replaced both stalks and ignition - stripped and painted - got a cooper steering wheel but have managed to get an original ERA turbo badge for the centre. I have not removed the old badge yet or cleaned the leather on the wheel. but should look nice. also got original covers

Attached File  IMG_1031.JPG   44.95K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1065.JPG   47.43K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1066.JPG   44.66K   0 downloads 

#10 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:58 PM

65DM4 Distributor 

This may not be used but i have still given it some attension. second hand from Ebay but now looks like new. I also have NOS 59DM4 distributor and i will most likely use that 

Attached File  IMG_0955.JPG   46.67K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0956.JPG   53.76K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0957.JPG   55.68K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0958.JPG   48.34K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0959.JPG   46.57K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0960.JPG   43.27K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0961.JPG   49K   0 downloads

Attached Files

#11 MaxDempsey

MaxDempsey

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 06:01 PM

Liking the look of this thread, good job restoring parts rather than throwing money at all new bits

#12 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 06:08 PM

Air Filter Housing [Original metro turbo type]

This item was very hard to find. Managed in the end to get 2 of them. Problem is both were in very poor condition. This actually too ages to get to look reasonable. The housing Plasict was pretty scratched, catches very badly corroded, outlet rusted and poor condition, bolts seized into plastic housing and bracket a rusty mess. But it has tided up ok. Not sure i will use the original bracket as it needs to fit in clubman engine bay not a metro. Maybe i will make a new bracket when the time is right. But i managed to get NOS K&N filter to go with it. 

Attached File  IMG_0983.JPG   35.62K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0984.JPG   51.05K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0985.JPG   47.42K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1117.JPG   43K   1 downloads

#13 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

Servo and pedal box

Again condition was poor. close to not using it. stripped - shot blast and primed. needs top coat and new master cylinder. Stripped and painted all brackets for pedal box. 

The servo is not easy to separate when it old, rusty.  I made a tool for separating to prevent damage. 2 random lengths of 20mm box section that were laying around. measured hole centres of 2 front master cylinder mounts. drilled 2 x 8mm holes in 1 length of box section. measured centres of 2 bolts on the rear side and drilled into other length of box. clamped 1 length of box in the vice. push on the other to unscrew. gave easy leverage and no damage. 

Attached File  IMG_1080.JPG   48.53K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1082.JPG   38.21K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1083.JPG   47.23K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1088.JPG   45.62K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1090.JPG   54.79K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1096.JPG   55.16K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1100.JPG   56.34K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1130.JPG   34.18K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1131.JPG   40.21K   0 downloads

#14 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:09 PM

Turbo

Will be fitting standard Garret T3 with standard actuator. Managed to get a NOS turbo. Should be as new i hope. 

Plenum chamber stripped and shot blast. full of oil when removed from old turbo. Old unit not looking good. inlet and outlet manifold both shot blast. Using original over pressure spring. cant seem to find gasket available for plenum join so making one from new gasket material. Waiting for paint to arrive next week. 

Attached File  IMG_1072.JPG   45.53K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1073.JPG   39.1K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1074.JPG   60.39K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1102.JPG   54.57K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1103.JPG   50.51K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1104.JPG   51.59K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1123.JPG   54.1K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1127.JPG   44.71K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1125.JPG   40.79K   2 downloads

#15 tankertanker

tankertanker

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:22 PM

Please stop I can't take any more, ,,, :) 

Loving it top stuff 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users