69 replies to this topic

#1 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:51 PM

Put in new front wheel bearings recently, went with the budget option from minispares (I know, I know) and I can hear the bearing starting to fail after not many miles. Lifted the front up and both front wheels weren't turning that freely. I stripped the hub and found that on both sides, only the inner bearing had gone bad. I've checked the hub and drive flange and it's fine. The bearing races were still in place without any play.

Now, I will order timken bearings, but wonder what is the cause of them going prematurely? I did torque the axle nut down to spec when I installed it, and there bearing wasn't too tight after the initial installation. What caused them to go bad so soon?

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:02 PM

Did you pack them with the correct grease? I've had it myself with cheap rear bearings where they start to bind so bad that you feel the car pulling to one side. I quickly checked for play, there was none but was very tight to rotate. I ended up going for a timken bearing.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:34 PM

Can you post up some photos of the failed bearings ?

#4 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:24 PM

Can you post up some photos of the failed bearings ?

Here is the worst one. The bearing itself has a lot of lateral play between the inner ring and the rollers. The race surface is smooth and not pitted in any way. Turning the bearing itself without putting it inside the race, it rolls somewhat smoothly. When it's put against the race, it's feels lumpy.

Attached Files

Edited by pakgorgor, 03 May 2020 - 11:25 PM.

#5 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:44 PM

I do NOT understand why you guys are having trouble with these bearings unless it's just inconsistent metallurgy and I've just been lucky. I've installed half a dozen sets of these with zero failures.....same with the rears. Some of them have done 30-35K miles by now too.....

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:15 AM

I do NOT understand why you guys are having trouble with these bearings unless it's just inconsistent metallurgy and I've just been lucky. I've installed half a dozen sets of these with zero failures.....same with the rears. Some of them have done 30-35K miles by now too.....

The one I installed on the rear was bought from a local parts supplier, they allowed me to return the bearing then pay the extra for a timken bearing. The cheap bearing had no branding on the bearing itself.

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:41 AM

Ask Minispares what they are going to do about the failed bearing.

#8 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:02 AM

The cheap minispares bearings if installed correctly should last quite a few thousand miles. Of course the Timkens are better, but even so, if they are installed incorrectly the effect will be the same.

The secret is in the method of installation.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting up some photos, but I can't really see enough from them to draw a conclusion here.

I've been told that the Mini Spares Wheel Bearings are better than the other non-genuine bearings around. I have tried non-Timken bearings in the past and I think the best I ever got from them was 5000 km (3000 miles).

I'll just say though, that from what I can see the grease looks to either possibly be the wrong type or it's burnt. The outer bearing looks well over-loaded with grease and packing them full will cause them to overheat, though, I don't see any heat discoloration on the bearings.

Just to ask the question here as well - are the hubs in good order ?

#10 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:04 AM

My car has Minispares own bearings and they are still OK after ten years or more and 30,000 miles or more,fitting correctly is crucial.Steve..

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:19 AM

MiniSpares 'own' bearings from 10 years ago are probably very different to those that can be bought now

#12 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting up some photos, but I can't really see enough from them to draw a conclusion here.

I've been told that the Mini Spares Wheel Bearings are better than the other non-genuine bearings around. I have tried non-Timken bearings in the past and I think the best I ever got from them was 5000 km (3000 miles).

I'll just say though, that from what I can see the grease looks to either possibly be the wrong type or it's burnt. The outer bearing looks well over-loaded with grease and packing them full will cause them to overheat, though, I don't see any heat discoloration on the bearings.

Just to ask the question here as well - are the hubs in good order ?

The grease used is specifically for wheel bearings. The outer bearing is fine which is what I don't understand.

The hub looked to be in good condition when I installed the bearings. Is there something I should be looking for specifically?

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:53 PM

The grease used is specifically for wheel bearings. The outer bearing is fine which is what I don't understand.

The hub looked to be in good condition when I installed the bearings. Is there something I should be looking for specifically?

There's some detailed info here that may help;-

http://www.theminifo...wheel-bearings/

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:17 PM

I asked at Mini Spares why they still sell those cheapie ones. I was buying a new set and when i asked for a set of fronts, I was told, "I know you won't want the cheap ones". I replied 'NFL' (work it out).

I was told that the reason they still sell them is because some owners want the cheapest parts possible and if only the 'proper' ones were stocked customers would say that they can get them for a fraction of the price at xxxx xxxxx or some other Mini parts vendor.

Buy cheap, buy twice (or even thrice!).

#15 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:26 AM

I asked at Mini Spares why they still sell those cheapie ones. I was buying a new set and when i asked for a set of fronts, I was told, "I know you won't want the cheap ones". I replied 'NFL' (work it out).

I was told that the reason they still sell them is because some owners want the cheapest parts possible and if only the 'proper' ones were stocked customers would say that they can get them for a fraction of the price at xxxx xxxxx or some other Mini parts vendor.

Buy cheap, buy twice (or even thrice!).

I'm still not sure that's a good reason for Minispares to stock sub standard safety critical parts. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users