Photo
- - - - -

Clutch Issues

Best Answer Cooperman , 08 May 2020 - 10:21 PM

If the engine has just been rebuilt and the primary gear re-bushed, there is insufficient radial clearance between bearing and crankshaft. With the current manganese-bronze primary gear bushes there needs to be a bit more clearance than used to be needed with the old bronze ones. I actually had that happen with a 1275 engine a few years ago. Took the primary gear out and had a small a ount honed from the bushes and it was fine.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Toffe98

Toffe98

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Flying Finns

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:10 PM

Hi all!

Was out on a test drive the other day and my Mini was running great, until the clutch suddenly stopped working. The gears do work when the engine is off, but I'm not able to get it into gear with the engine running and seems like the clutch isn't disengaging. (tried putting it in gear and pressing the clutch while my dad pushed the car and theres no difference if the clutch is pressed or not, the car isn't moving) The car in question is a 1981 Mini 1000 with a 1275 A+ engine and a verto clutch.

Already bled the clutch again and while some air did come out, it's still not working and only clear fluid coming out now. Also checked the adjustment nuts and loosened them off, didn't help either  :ohno:

Anyone got any ideas before I pull out the engine again?  =]

Thanks!

Toffe

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:22 PM

You're unlikely yo need to pull the engine again - search and read the (many) topics on the board about checking and diagnosing clutch problems. 

It is very likely to be failed hydraulics or mechanical linkages that are all accessible.

#3 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:31 PM

Before taking the clutch out ( which can be done with the engine in place) you need to make sure that the clutch operating arm is moving when the clutch pedal is pressed. The hydraulics are nearly always at fault, clutch plates usually slip.

Get your Dad to push the pedal down whilst you watch the slave cylinder and clutch operating lever to see whether the hydraulics are working ok.

#4 Toffe98

Toffe98

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:46 PM

Was hoping it would be just hydraulics, but just checked and the arm appears to move as it should when you press the clutch ?

#5 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:31 PM

Take the arm out and inspect it. Not uncommon for the ball to break off the end of the arm or for it to bend.

#6 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:31 PM

Double post

Edited by imack, 06 May 2020 - 03:34 PM.

#7 Toffe98

Toffe98

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:50 PM

Good idea, will do!  :lol:

#8 Toffe98

Toffe98

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

The arm looks fine and ball is still attached and looks straight, I'll get the clutch cover off tomorrow and inspect further since everything else seems fine, checked all the clevis pins aswell and they seemed tight enough so I'm guessing it might be that the clutch or primary gear is stuck 

#9 Toffe98

Toffe98

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 01:16 PM

Well there's both good and bad news now, the good news is that I got the clutch out with the engine still in the car, the bad news is that once I got it out I found out my primary gear is stuck to the crankshaft  >_< Time to do some further research, any ideas are very welcome  :proud:

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:21 PM   Best Answer

If the engine has just been rebuilt and the primary gear re-bushed, there is insufficient radial clearance between bearing and crankshaft. With the current manganese-bronze primary gear bushes there needs to be a bit more clearance than used to be needed with the old bronze ones. I actually had that happen with a 1275 engine a few years ago. Took the primary gear out and had a small a ount honed from the bushes and it was fine.

#11 Toffe98

Toffe98

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:50 AM

Yep, I believe we had it set to what the Haynes manual says, aka too little clearance. Will try to get it off asap and see if it's still usable or if I'll have to change it, hopefully hasn't damaged the crankshaft  :ohno:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users