Photo
- - - - -

How Essential Is The Sealed Fuel Cap For An Mpi?

Best Answer rich_959 , 13 May 2020 - 11:10 AM

Minispares. Just make sure you get the right one. This is the one that fits to the standard cap, for the shorter filler neck of the MPI's.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:14 PM

Hi guys,

When I bought my mini 4 or so years ago it came with the aston style fuel cap cover but no locking fuel cap. I've ran it like that for ages but recently thought it to be a good idea to buy one of the locking vented fuel caps however as I have now discovered, I can't run both the locking cap and the aston flip style cap. I far prefer the look of the aston cap and so was wondering if I can just run the car without the cap or will it cause issues?

Thanks!

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:35 PM

It's possible to have both.

Strictly speaking, the MPi should have a non-vented cap.

Mine has this Aston style over the standard locking fuel cap.

Can't figure why it's flipped the photos.

Attached Files

Edited by Quinlan minor, 12 May 2020 - 10:39 PM.

#3 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:32 PM

How did you manage that?? I tried today and the locking cap can't get low enough over the neck to lock and without access to a mill I can't make the ledge any lower :/

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:05 AM

How did you manage that?? I tried today and the locking cap can't get low enough over the neck to lock and without access to a mill I can't make the ledge any lower :/

The 'Aston Style' cap is secured to the OEM cap by two Allen set screws (arrowed in photographs).

Attached Files

#5 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:25 AM

That definitely is one way of doing it! I assume that took some machining of the inside of the fuel cap to make it fit the locking cap?

#6 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:49 AM

There are different versions of the Aston/Monza caps available. I have the one like Quinlan above which is designed to just clamp onto the standard cap, so it's effectively a dummy. Others fit to filler neck and replace the standard cap altogether (which sounds like what you have). From memory, mine was only about £20 so might be worth you going that route if you want to retain the original cap. 

#7 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

There are different versions of the Aston/Monza caps available. I have the one like Quinlan above which is designed to just clamp onto the standard cap, so it's effectively a dummy. Others fit to filler neck and replace the standard cap altogether (which sounds like what you have). From memory, mine was only about £20 so might be worth you going that route if you want to retain the original cap. 

Ah that makes sense, I think mine is meant for an SPI (?) where the neck is long enough for both the locking cap and and aston cap but doesn't work with my MPI tank. You don't happen to remember where you got yours from do you? sounds like a good compromise! 

#8 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:10 AM   Best Answer

Minispares. Just make sure you get the right one. This is the one that fits to the standard cap, for the shorter filler neck of the MPI's.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#9 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

It's quite a dull/satin finish, but I quite like that to be honest. 

#10 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:25 PM

Perfect! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users