8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Cooper

Tom Cooper

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:18 PM

Cannot get my temp gauge to move past the "c" cold setting. I have changed the sender unit, and tried grounding the lead on the sender which caused the needle to flip straight to "H". Has anyone had this problem ? Would a faulty or open thermostat
Be an issue ? Hav'nt checked that yet.

#2 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

As you run the engine for 10 minutes or so, keep checking the radiator top hose to see if the thermostat is working correctly. If it is, the hose should stay cool as then engine warms up, then start to get hotter as the thermostat opens. If it stays cool, the thermostat may be stuck open.

Is it a new gauge?

Edited by RustyAutoCityE, 15 May 2020 - 12:52 PM.

#3 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:35 AM

Does the sender match the gauge?

A multi-meter on the sender should send signals as the water heats up .. I'm sure there is something on google that explains it

Also check the sender wire is not broken or a poor connection ..

Edited by gazza82, 15 May 2020 - 10:36 AM.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:03 PM

The temp gauge on my S was so inaccurate that I fitted a capilliary-type gauge as sold by Mini Spares.
It actually gives the temp accurately in degs C. A good investment.

#5 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:29 AM

Cannot get my temp gauge to move past the "c" cold setting. I have changed the sender unit, and tried grounding the lead on the sender which caused the needle to flip straight to "H". Has anyone had this problem ? Would a faulty or open thermostat
Be an issue ? Hav'nt checked that yet.

Any solution to this? My 1988 restored car is doing similar. 

#6 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:30 AM

I used to have to tap the Temp gauge on my first RSP to get it off zero.

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:31 PM

Somewhere there will be a resistance/temp curve published for the sender.You could measure this as the motor warms up or put a suitable resistor on the end of the gauge wire and earth the other end.This will show you where the reading should be.The gauges are not precision instruments and most are old so the calibration could be out.The senders may be ranged differently.You may have fitted it with PTFE tape which could insulate it,etc etc.Have fun,Steve..

#8 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:52 PM

I did the exactly the same, haven't looked back!

The temp gauge on my S was so inaccurate that I fitted a capilliary-type gauge as sold by Mini Spares.
It actually gives the temp accurately in degs C. A good investment.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,931 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

I'd suggest first off, check what the actual temp of the engine & coolant is with a reliable means of checking. You can use an IR Temp Gun, it won't be spot on accurate, but you should be able to get results to within 50, then you'll have a better idea what you're playing with and if it's an instrumentation issue or something else.

Somewhere there will be a resistance/temp curve published for the sender.You could measure this as the motor warms up or put a suitable resistor on the end of the gauge wire and earth the other end.This will show you where the reading should be.The gauges are not precision instruments and most are old so the calibration could be out.The senders may be ranged differently.You may have fitted it with PTFE tape which could insulate it,etc etc.Have fun,Steve..

Not actually published curves, but there's some info here (though a little conflicting - I'm not sure how far apart these all all)

http://www.theminifo...p-sender-specs/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users