#1 Miniman118

Miniman118

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:24 PM

Evening All,

Week 4 of bringing the mini back to life - have completely pulled the fuel system apart from filter to petrol tank,the tank had a lot of moisture and rusty water in it with no fuel so I pulled it all apart and cleaned it out let it sit for a couple of days plus removed the rust welded fuel filter assembly apart and built my own little system just to get the system to tick over now after sitting for a week there is a smell of fuel in the boot of the car now none of my lines seem to be leaking or weeping but can notice some semi sort of wetness beneath the tank but I’m unsure if that’s just leaked fuel from filling the tank with a petrol can a week ago when cleaning the tank there was a flaky bit of rust about the size of a 50p price floating around in the bottom of the tank which i couldn’t get out the question I have is, are there any protruding areas inside the tank that can flake off and cause a leak ?

Might be time for a new tank !

#2 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:56 PM

Gas from filling last would have evaporated a long time ago. I would look closer at the tank again. For the cheap price of a new tank i would just buy new rather than trying to fix.

#3 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:18 PM

I think id take the petrol tank out of the car and have a good look at it, if in doubt, change it.

Kit352, i dont think the car is on LPG?

#4 Miniman118

Miniman118

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:46 PM

Yh I think it’s a tank out job again as I say there was minor wetness at the bottom of it but first couple of days I put that’s down to spillage whilst filling ive wiped it away tonight to see if it shows any signs again - annoying taking it out again as it’s almost full but need to track this down

In hindsight I should have filled the tank before putting it in to check for leaks - I’m a bit baffled as to what the chunk of floating rusted metal is inside still

#5 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:38 PM

Like a metal water tank a petrol tank can have a largish rust spot inside that even the small pressure of the petrol in the tank can hold it in place. If drained and even just left to dry out the rust spot can detach itself and then start leaking. I've drained enough water tanks to know that even left empty for 4 hours it will be squirting all over the place. Sounds like a new tank required to me.

#6 Miniman118

Miniman118

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:50 AM

Hmmm yes sounds like it,pain in the arse pulling this out again but needs must I wiped away the area I suspected it was leaking in last night going to check them this morning

#7 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:16 AM

You'll probably find the bottom seam of the tank is weeping. I had the same thing, even though there were no actual drips the seam was very slightly damp and the car stank of petrol. Fitted a good second hand one in the end.

#8 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

Have you connected the small bore plastic/rubber tank breather pipe to the top of the tank which then exits through a grommet in the boot floor to the outside air? If missing or split this pipe causes petrol fumes in the boot and interior of the car.

Edited by mab01uk, 15 May 2020 - 03:32 PM.

#9 Miniman118

Miniman118

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

Hi All,

Just ripped the tank out and can confirm it was the seam around the base weeping

Over night noticed where I had wiped,was once again wet

Annoying as the tank looks mint inside and out but the seam is leaking

Second hand unit purchased and going to wait for that to arrive

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:25 AM

POR15 Fuel Car / Bike (Motorcycle) Tank Repair Sealer:-

https://www.frost.co...r-sealer-473ml/

Edited by mab01uk, 16 May 2020 - 08:30 AM.

#11 Miniman118

Miniman118

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:23 PM

I contemplated going down the POR15 route but having taken into consideration the pump and sender also look a bit ropey due to being submerged in the crap inside

So have bought a second hand tank with sender and pump included

Worse case I’ll have a spare sender and pump left over in the future in case it breaks

#12 Miniman118

Miniman118

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

New tank in and she puts like a kitten with no leaks

Lovely ??

#13 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad