#1 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:56 AM

Hi all,

Following an electrical 'incident' in my engine bay (the type of incident that involves large amounts of smoke),  I'm in need of a new main loom.

The car is an almost standard 1989 Mini City  -   side repeaters, pre-engaged starter,  originally ballast coil (but now use non-ballast),  originally dim-dip  (but I now by-pass this for safety reasons).   

Apparently the correct loom for this is YMC10654.

My usual default supplier for anything would usually be Minispares,  and searching through past threads on here they seem to be the recommended supplier for looms,  but unfortunately they've been out of stock of YMC10654 for some time and they're not sure when they'll be getting them back in.

The two places that do have them in stock are Autosparks and Bullmotif.    Does anyone know if either of these suppliers can be recommended for looms?

If I was a betting man,  I'd suspect that Autosparks might actually be the supplier of the Minispares looms  -  is this the case?     If so,  I'll just go ahead and order it from them.

Also,  I note Minispares has HAM4835 in stock (WIRING MAIN LOOM 85-88, PRE-ENGAGED STARTER, SIDE REPEAT, NO DIM-DIP).

Would anyone know what the differences are between this and the post-88 loom?      If they're minor and I know what they are  (e.g. no dim-dip) it might be suitable.

Apologies for the daft questions but I'm reluctant to order a fairly expensive (and safety critical!) item from a supplier I've never used before,   without hearing whether others have had good experiences with them.

Thanks in advance,

Liam

#2 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

Not directly relevant, but I've ordered from Autosparks recently - lengths of colour coded cable for my own recent rewiring project. Had a new front and rear loom, but turns out the cables weren't long enough to reach (the perils of a kit car, nothing is ever "standard"!) so made up an extension to join them back together.

They were very helpful and quick to send stuff out, that was pre-coronavirus so not sure how they have been impacted on the customer service front.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

Autosparks make them and supply them to Mini Spares.

#4 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:39 AM

Bull also resell Autosparks looms I understand ..

#5 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:41 AM

I had an Autosparks loom for my pickup. They were great, modifying it for no extra cost. The rear loom was too short but they replaced it immediately. I would strongly recommend them. 

Bull is a very good shop, but I doubt they make the looms.

Don't forget to use the old loom to pull the new one through.

Good luck

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:00 PM

Get the 85-88 loom from autosparks and ask for it with a 12v coil feed instead of the ballast wire and without dim dip.

Edited by cal844, 15 May 2020 - 12:00 PM.

#7 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

Thanks everyone  -  turns out that everyone is actually out of stock of the 'correct' 1989 loom,  as they're all waiting for Autosparks to return to work  -  and even then they're expecting there to be a huge backlog.

Cal844's suggestion might be very useful  -  Autosparks aren't delivering at all atm but Minispares have the 85-88 loom in stock.      As I currently bypass the ballast resistor and the dim-dip anyway,   could I just use the 85-88 loom (HAM4385)?

Or are there any other small differences I might need to know about?

I suppose I should just be patient and get the correct one,  but if the difference really is limited to the ballast wire and the dim-dip circuit,   they make no difference to me anyway.

I'll take a look at the Haynes wiring diagrams but it would be great if someone more experienced could confirm what the differences are.

Edited by zero_wlv, 15 May 2020 - 01:46 PM.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:16 PM

Thanks everyone - turns out that everyone is actually out of stock of the 'correct' 1989 loom, as they're all waiting for Autosparks to return to work - and even then they're expecting there to be a huge backlog.

Cal844's suggestion might be very useful - Autosparks aren't delivering at all atm but Minispares have the 85-88 loom in stock. As I currently bypass the ballast resistor and the dim-dip anyway, could I just use the 85-88 loom (HAM4385)?

Or are there any other small differences I might need to know about?

I suppose I should just be patient and get the correct one, but if the difference really is limited to the ballast wire and the dim-dip circuit, they make no difference to me anyway.
I'll take a look at the Haynes wiring diagrams but it would be great if someone more experienced could confirm what the differences are.

You could just use the 85 to 88 loom and just cut out the ballast resistor wire remake that connection for a section of 12v wire. Then you can bypass the dim dip wiring in the usual manner, or delete it as it's simple to do. Youd just need to re-tape the loom with the relevant tape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users