Photo
- - - - -

Bulkhead Wiring Repair/replacement After Fire..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Justin85

Justin85

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

Evening all, 

I have a new to me (new this evening!) 1991 Mini City. It's had a 1275 MG Metro engine fitted at some point. About 15 years ago, the engine backfired through the carb whilst it was being tuned and the foam insulation on the bulkhead caught fire. It was extinguished quickly, but the bulkhead wiring suffered as a result. 

The car has sat since then. I've only had it a couple of hours, but am looking for a bit of guidance on where to start please. 

Attached File  wiring 2.jpg   70.75K   9 downloads

I'm very new to Minis, but from a bit of searching on the web, I understand (maybe wrongly) that there is a rear wiring loom that connects to the main loom along the bulkhead. Is the blue circle on my photo where the rear loom joins in? Are they/were they bullet type connectors? 

What circuits do the inline fuses in the green circle serve?

And is the junction box in the red circle just a main power feed junction box from the battery? 

And where do i start?!?  O_O

Many thanks in advance, 

Justin. 

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:06 PM

from the picture, I'd be considering replacing the front loom

Bullet connectors you've circled are where the rear loom connects to the front

the inline fuses should be for the hazard (and interior light) circuit and the rear foglight cicuit 

Edited by KTS, 15 May 2020 - 09:14 PM.

#3 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:01 PM

Evening all, 

I have a new to me (new this evening!) 1991 Mini City. It's had a 1275 MG Metro engine fitted at some point. About 15 years ago, the engine backfired through the carb whilst it was being tuned and the foam insulation on the bulkhead caught fire. It was extinguished quickly, but the bulkhead wiring suffered as a result. 

The car has sat since then. I've only had it a couple of hours, but am looking for a bit of guidance on where to start please. 

attachicon.gif wiring 2.jpg

I'm very new to Minis, but from a bit of searching on the web, I understand (maybe wrongly) that there is a rear wiring loom that connects to the main loom along the bulkhead. Is the blue circle on my photo where the rear loom joins in? Are they/were they bullet type connectors? 

What circuits do the inline fuses in the green circle serve?

And is the junction box in the red circle just a main power feed junction box from the battery? 

And where do i start?!?  O_O

Many thanks in advance, 

Justin. 

Main feed from the battery should go straight to the starter motor. Looks more like (and please don't take this as gospel) an aftermarket relay for the headlights 

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:39 AM

I don’t know what the thing circled red is - not standard. Judging by the various red (pink?) wires above the master cylinders this car has been the victim of previous owner bodges - as recommended above, get a new loom then you know it’s right.

Edited by GraemeC, 16 May 2020 - 06:40 AM.

#5 bartman

bartman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:06 PM

just put a new loom in it, much easier and will save so much time.

#6 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

If it were my car I would cut back to good wire and rewire it to make it work reliably probably using blue or grey wire as I have lots of it.Do not buy a car off me.Steve..

Edited by sonscar, 21 May 2020 - 12:10 PM.

#7 Justin85

Justin85

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for your helpful replies :) Small update from me. I've removed black bag's worth of non-OE wiring to various things. The car had several aftermarket gauges fitted - voltmeter, ammeter, oil pressure, vacuum gauge as well as spot lights and a battery kill switch - hence the battery main feed went to the dash, through the kill switch and back to the starter.

I've ordered a new loom ordered from Autosparks to get me started. No doubt I'll be back for more advice soon!

Thanks

Justin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users