8 replies to this topic

#1 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

My mini temps (on original gauge) sit higher since heater delete I understand this is usual but I'm not sure how high is too high. With spirited or motorway driving it sits clearly above the white line, normal driving it sits on the line and slow driving it sits under it. Should I be taking any action and if so what?
Cheers

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:16 PM

the heater as well as being a great added cooling device also means you have more water to absorb the heat.

i would refit the heater. or fit the heater core in the engine bay.

#3 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

the heater as well as being a great added cooling device also means you have more water to absorb the heat.
Do you think its running too hot then nick?
i would refit the heater. or fit the heater core in the engine bay.

#4 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:51 PM

Sorry that hasn't made sense, what I was trying too say is do you think my engine temps are too high then?

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:05 PM

If you have removed the heater (why would you do this unless building a racing car?) it is quite likely that the engine is running hot.

For an accurate reading fit a capilliary-type gauge which reads accurately in degs. C.

#6 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:35 PM

If you have removed the heater (why would you do this unless building a racing car?) it is quite likely that the engine is running hot.
For an accurate reading fit a capilliary-type gauge which reads accurately in degs. C.

And once I've done that what's the temps I should be aiming for mate

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:43 PM

Probably between 80 and 90 degrees c depending where you measure it.I think of the car gauges as indicators only and as long as they are where they usually are then OK.Steve..

#8 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:45 PM

Cheers its no where near the red but il fit a proper temp in degrees and see what I'm dealing with

#9 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:22 PM

In theory they can run fine without a heater matrix as when you run the heater on cold it’s technically bypassing the matrix... in practice though they seem to run hot when removed completely...
As was said above relocating the matrix as a 2nd little radiator under the engine bay is the best solution. They fit nicely near the starter motor if you remove the plastic air scoop director thing.
If you just want more room inside the car (I’ve never seen it done) but in theory I guess you could remove the heater system but keep the matrix under there somewhere against the firewall? It wouldn’t get any real air flow but would keep coolant capacity up... never tried it, might not work but just food for thought

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users