25 replies to this topic

#1 Mark506

Mark506

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

I'm just thinking about what to do to my mini now it is coming towards running again, to make it less nickable. Just wondering what other people have done and what products that people would recomend?

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:02 PM

Disc lock steering wheel lock and some form of electrical cut off device hidden in the car.

#3 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:34 PM

I have a steering lock bar, wheel clamps and tracker. Also my other cars block it in on the drive ?

#4 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:46 PM

Disklok without a doubt. I have one on all our cars, and they've prevented at least one theft even when they had the keys.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:58 PM

Best steering wheel locks 2020

AutoExpress magazine test the best steering wheel locks on the market to stop hi-tech thieves in their tracks.

Verdict

Three of our eight were defeated with no tools in under five seconds. For obvious reasons, we haven’t named them. But our top two stood up to over five minutes of attack, and were only removed with noisy power tools. The Disklok had the edge on security but is heavy and awkward. Stoplock’s Pro is far more user-friendly, and at half the price, it edges the win. In third is the Carpoint.

1. Stoplock Pro
  2. Disklok
  3. Carpoint Steering Wheel Lock

Scroll down to read our full analysis of each steering wheel lock...

https://www.autoexpr...ing-wheel-locks

Edited by mab01uk, 16 May 2020 - 10:01 PM.

#6 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:01 PM

Any security measure is usually a delaying tactic or to put off the thief

The determined thief will have a selection of solutions; the more aggressive delaying tactic the the better (as they are unlikely to have a solution to all of them and will maybe pass by if too much effort for them)

Depends where you park it how often you use it, how much hassle you are prepared to put up with to secure it.

I have a krooklok and disconnect the battery which should dissuade the casual thief but the determined one would be able to work those out. 

I would guess most minis are towed/trailered away; smash window (not many with motion sensing alarm) , break steering lock, attach to tow car (or hot-wire if the battery is still connected)

+1 for blocking the drive with a more secure (modern) car 

I think jacking it up and taking all four wheels off might be a good idea (how much hassle....?) but of course nothing can stop the most determined (they might bring a crane and a flat bed)

Overkill would be to use all the possibilities; assuming its parked on a street so you can't chain the rear subframe to a post concreted into your drive or leave it on a jack (as some git would kick it off)

Disclok, handbrake lever to gear-lever lock, disconnect battery, remove rotor arm (old skool!) fit alarm/immobiliser, wheel clamp(s), leave half-starved german shepherd in car etc etc

240v connected to the door handle... :lol:  - yes I know there was a case where someone was done for trying this idea but I still thought it was jolly creative.

#7 paulg027

paulg027

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Local Club: Tamar Historic Transport Club

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:58 PM

A battery isolation switch is a nice touch (in addition to steering lock/tracker etc).

#8 kiwi topcat

kiwi topcat

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:10 AM

battery cut out large with RED removable key on Negative in the boot.

cut out switch on Fuel pump hidden under dash

ignition cut out switch Hidden under dash

#9 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

Big chain going through the wheels and bolted to the driveway? ? That should do it. ?

#10 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:15 AM

The cases of mini theft I've heard of recently have happened when the mini has been towed away. In those cases battery switches, kill switches, fuel pump switches, immobilizers..... all useless. Steering wheel locks not effective if thief uses a dolly. There is no answer as there will always be a way for the determined thief.

I find that the claw-type wheel clamp fitted to rear wheels that have locking wheel nuts are as good a way as any other.

A self powered monitored tracker is also very useful; costly but effective in recovery.

Just my thoughts.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:21 AM

Read through our stolen Mini alerts  and it sadly looks like most are taken off drives, presumably in targeted thefts. Keeping your pride 'n joy out of sight as much as practical and fitting an alarm, along with enough measures to give you time to react if it goes off seems prudent.

#12 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:51 AM

#13 Mark506

Mark506

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, not at all distant from what I'd been thinking about! It's in a garage with two cars blocking it in overnight, it's the odd ocassion when nobody is hear that is the concern! 

Any specific alarm recomendations? 

Edited by Mark506, 17 May 2020 - 11:40 AM.

#14 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

How about this one:

#15 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:33 PM

Love the Roger Moore Bond films, he was my favourite 007.

Citroen CV became the getaway car if my memory serves me right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users