Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:20 PM

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question on steering rack.

I followed the instructions in the Haynes, and on TMF, and centered the steering rack. With a the drill bit still in situ,I fitted the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. Once I'd finished, I tried turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock and found from straight to full right lock was approximately 1.25 turns. However, from straight ahead to full left lock was almost 1.45 turns. 

Does this sound right because it doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers.

#2 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:34 PM

Once centred and locked with a drill bit in I'd look at the wheel alignment at the front and see what it's like if out then adjust the track rod ends to centre the wheels use a bit of string round all 4 wheels to give a rough idea first. If it's not that I'm sure someone else will point you in the right direction.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,930 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:39 AM

I gotta admit, I've never bothered with that centering function in the rack. It's dependent on how the ends are fitted on as to whether it really is 'rack Center'. I'm also a bit of a lazy bastard, so rather than pull up the carpet, pull the plugs etc, I just find it faster and easier to count the total turns, then wind back 1/2 of that - bingo - Centered. Move on to the next joyous job of laying on the concrete to do the alignment.

#4 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:13 AM

I gotta admit, I've never bothered with that centering function in the rack. It's dependent on how the ends are fitted on as to whether it really is 'rack Center'. I'm also a bit of a lazy bastard, so rather than pull up the carpet, pull the plugs etc, I just find it faster and easier to count the total turns, then wind back 1/2 of that - bingo - Centered. Move on to the next joyous job of laying on the concrete to do the alignment.

:D  I was tempted to do the same but wanted to do it right as I may be forced to sell by our glorious mayor of London unless I can convert it into a mobile plant pot or a bicycle! If that's the case, the next owner will at least have something centered. Haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users