5 replies to this topic

#1 gdcarpenter

gdcarpenter

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:44 PM

Waiting for my air/fuel ratio gauge to arrive and prepping for it. Sensor will go in new LCB to CAT flex pipe. The bung will go in at a twelve degree angle and will be very close to the welded in flex section.

Looking online, the CATs I see have both the inlet and outlet flanges centered on the CAT. On my CAT, which has been gutted by a previous owner, the front flange is offset to the right side, I presume this is for the connector pipe to clear the gear shift mechanism. Is this an oddball CAT?

Also, on other CATs I found online the flange studs seem to be parallel with the horizontal center of the CAT. On mine they are about 15-20 degrees off horizontal.

Seems this would make replacing the CAT with a DECAT pipe, which is dead straight, problematic, since my middle box would not likely be centered in the exhaust tunnel.

PS: Any other old timers like me that remember what the round red tool to the right of the exhaust is, came in handy on this job,

Attached Files

Edited by gdcarpenter, 17 May 2020 - 04:51 PM.

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:56 PM

Pipe expander?.Steve..

#3 gdcarpenter

gdcarpenter

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:04 PM

BINGO - We have a winner, pipe expander.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:27 PM

I use a cone type pipe expanded and heavy hammer

#5 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:18 AM

Waiting for my air/fuel ratio gauge to arrive and prepping for it. Sensor will go in new LCB to CAT flex pipe. The bung will go in at a twelve degree angle and will be very close to the welded in flex section.

Looking online, the CATs I see have both the inlet and outlet flanges centered on the CAT. On my CAT, which has been gutted by a previous owner, the front flange is offset to the right side, I presume this is for the connector pipe to clear the gear shift mechanism. Is this an oddball CAT?

Also, on other CATs I found online the flange studs seem to be parallel with the horizontal center of the CAT. On mine they are about 15-20 degrees off horizontal.

Seems this would make replacing the CAT with a DECAT pipe, which is dead straight, problematic, since my middle box would not likely be centered in the exhaust tunnel.

PS: Any other old timers like me that remember what the round red tool to the right of the exhaust is, came in handy on this job,

Are you thinking of replacing it with a decat pipe? I have a pipe that will bolt on in place of the cat with the offset flanges. Send me a message if you're interested.

#6 gdcarpenter

gdcarpenter

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:57 PM

Thanks Stage One Kit Fitted.

Waiting for twin box Maniflow set to complete the exhaust swap, will definitely keep your kind offer in mind after I get the rest of the system fitted and see how quieter it is than the current single box RC40. I am a displaced Cannuk in Raleigh but grew up in Sudbury and dear old Mom still lives in Toronto, small world!

Garfield the gdcarpenter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users