4 replies to this topic

#1 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:37 PM

If I fitted and oil cooler with a thermosate would it help control engine temps? The reason I ask is the route this car will take is charged to around 180bhp so I'm thinking is it worth doing this now if I'm. Worried about engine temps on motorway drives ect

#2 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:44 PM

The oil does cool the engine to an extent insofar as it "removes" heat from the hot bits but the oil is not an engine coolant, so if you have a heat temp issue an oil cooler will not solve it.

An oil cooler is there as the name implies to cool the oil only, but with modern oils, an oil cooler is rarely needed on a normally asperated car.

The realms of turbo is slightly different as the oil gets damn hot lubing and cooling that turbo so I would advice fitting an oil cooler but it will not resolve an overheating issue in my opinion.

#3 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:42 AM

Cheers mate

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

If I fitted and oil cooler with a thermosate would it help control engine temps? The reason I ask is the route this car will take is charged to around 180bhp so I'm thinking is it worth doing this now if I'm. Worried about engine temps on motorway drives ect

While the engine may well make that kind of power (and maybe more) you won't likely to be making that kind of power, or much above 60 HP for long stretches - well,,, not on the road at least.

For this reason alone, I really don't feel an Oil Cooler is warranted.

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:31 AM

A lot of the turbo boys don't run one. I don't, and oil temps don't go above 106 degrees C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users