6 replies to this topic

#1 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:36 AM

So my 1979 1000 should now be tax exempt. 

The only way to change to the historic tax class is to visit a post office that deals with car stuff with my V5 and send off a form.

The DVLA is currently shut to anyone that isnt a key worker, and isnt accepting paper applications of any form.

What are my options here? Perfect weather for mini-ing and its not left the garage this year yet :(

Any help appreciated.

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:27 AM

http://www.theminifo...and-mot-exempt/

#3 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:27 AM

Pay the tax till it’s sorted ?

It’s like a tenner a month

#4 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:11 AM

Pay the tax till it’s sorted

It’s like a tenner a month

Just asking - Self employed and not earning any money at the moment so trying to be extra careful with cashflow.

My wife's mini just 'fell' into historic status, and when taxing online for the first tax free year it just said free. No forms. No DVLA contact.

Cheers for the advise.

#5 Norris73

Norris73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:15 AM

Just did this on my 1979 Clubman Estate last week. Using the post office branch checker, I found a local ish (2 miles away) post office inside a Budgens that does Vehicle Tax. They were able to tax the vehicle in the historic vehicle tax class for 12 months there and then, after showing my completed v112 mot exemption form (I had printed this off the DVLA website). They then ask you to write 'Historic Vehicle' in the vehicle tax part of the V5 and sign and date (if your V5 doc is old enough to have the signature box). The post office then place your V5 in a pre prepared envolope address to DVLA that gets sent with there mail at the end of the day.

Hope this helps.

I was dreading having to do this durning lockdown, but to be honest was painless. I supose it depends on the post office and who you get behind the till on the day.

Edited by Norris73, 19 May 2020 - 10:18 AM.

#6 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:18 AM

Just did this on my 1979 Clubman Estate last week. Using the post office branch checker, I found a local ish (2 miles away) post office inside a Budgens that does Vehicle Tax. They were able to tax the vehicle in the historic vehicle tax class for 12 months there and then, after showing my completed v112 mot exemption form (I had printed this off the DVLA website). They then ask you to write 'Historic Vehicle' in the vehicle tax part of the V5 and sign and date (if you V5 doc is old enough to have the signature box). The post office then place your V5 in a pre prepared envolope address to DVLA that gets sent with there mail at the end of the day.

Hope this helps.

I was dreading having to do this durning lockdown, but to be honest was painless. I supose it depends on the post office and who you get behind the till on the day.

Perfect! That was the answer I was looking for. I will find a suitable post office and try it out! Thank you!!

#7 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:39 PM

Well done on finding a post office who knew what they were doing!

My pick up was tax exempt from April 1st,so I went to my local post office with the V5 and form V112 ready to tax.

The person behind the counter obviously had never encountered such a thing!I had to tell her that  this was a tax exemption form and you write historic in the class change and thats it!I thought you had to send off to the DVLA and then got confirmation back.

I had heard nothing back from the DVLA,so managed to contact them last week as I am a key worker.They then tell me that they should have taxed it at the post office and it would have been done.

In the end I have taxed it as I still haven't received my V5 back.I will be able to claim back once the V5 arrives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users