Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:43 AM

Where’s the best place to get a decent carpet set from

Are kingsman any good £105 as shown

Attached Files

Edited by steeley, 21 May 2020 - 07:44 AM.

#2 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:41 AM

It would probably be best to ask for a sample to check the colour and quality. I found that some carpets have a more open weave that look OK at first but open up too much when they are bent around a sharp edge such as the crossmember. I looked at a few but chose Newton Commercial in the end as the quality was OK and they were the only ones that could provide the specific powder blue colour I needed.

You’ll have more choice if you are looking for black, so although I can recommend Newton, it will be worth you shopping around for samples as there may be a cheaper/better option.

#3 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis Portsmouth

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:58 AM

from buying lots you have 2 main options.

40 quid set from minispares, cheap but very useable.

200 quid from newton, perfect, moulded sets but very expensive

stuff in between isn't usually worth it so stick with the 40 quid set.

#4 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for that I don’t really want to spend 200 but wasn’t sure as 40 sounded a bit cheap I may get the 40 one
and buy the seat plastic pads and rivet set

#5 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:35 AM

i have the mini spares 40 quid set now. best cheap one you can get imo. take time cutting the hole for gear stick and they fit well.

#6 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:36 AM

my bother fit the 100pound set above, the fit isn't any better, and is too thick i think!

#7 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:16 AM

The carpet is about the only bit I still need to buy for my car, but I've been holding off. As a premium alternative to the Newton, I had considered the Optimise Automotive one, as it comes with 5mm closed cell foam on the back, and I quite like the idea of not having to put anything else underneath it except a bit of anti-drum.

https://www.optimise...s/"CM/CK/CKD/C"

As another circa £100 option, Bull Motifs 'Premium' sets look quite good. They also sell a £200ish moulded set, which I assume is Newton?

https://bullmotifmin..._carpet_sets/89

As a middle of the road option, I considered these for £72. I quite like the big rubber heel pads

https://www.techauto...der-79137-p.asp

Edited by rich_959, 21 May 2020 - 10:16 AM.

#8 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:43 PM

I bought the moss budget carpet set for £40, fitted better than a more expensive foam backed set

#9 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:41 AM

I bought mini spares £40 in the end fitting it at the moment and it seems very good

#10 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:09 AM

An original one piece MPI moulded carpet is really good if you can get one, though need a different door seal.  The seal is a 2 part thing and the lower part has an extra lip to tuck the top edge of carpet into.

Ive a Newton commercial red carpet fitted and love it.  Good foam backing that keeps it stable and has a small bit of sound absorbing quality.   The precautions front seat belt holes don’t match up with th3 seat belt anchor positions on an MPI.  

#11 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:15 AM

just working on the interior of a mini and fitting a newton carpet set, nice quality, needs a little trim here and there as all probably do but I really cant see where all the money is if I'm honest. if i'd have been thinking when i ordered i would have gone with the Optimise carpet set for the backing and the simple fact that everything looks to be more fitted(bulkhead and cross-member look nicely cut as well as the sill to wheel well pieces) maybe with the way some mini's are restored and modified the pre-cut holes and slots may be slightly off though?

also fitted an Optimise headlining kit and again obviously it needed trimming but its one of the best fitting things iv's bought for a mini!

just my t'pence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users