#1 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:02 PM

I'm using MiniSpares Metro brake pads in their 4 pot calipers, and have decided to wire up the pad wear indicators.

Obviously the pads come with one half of the connector, But I'm struggling to find the other half. I've searched websites such as "Kojaycat" to no avail.

I could just replace the whole thing with a Superseal connector, but that would mean having to replace the connector when changing the brake pads.

Has anyone any idea re. a supplier or part number for these items?

Any info gratefully received.

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:06 PM

See if you can find someone with a scrap Metro or old loom and cut the connectors off?

In fact - post a picture - I have some butchered old BL looms around, you never know..............

Edited by GraemeC, 21 May 2020 - 01:06 PM.

#3 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:26 PM

To be honest I always thought the pad wear indicators were a bit use less.

And that's not to dis the Metro, I had 3 and loved them especially the MG Metro I had.

I had a couple of the Metros with this feature, on one whenever it rained the warning light would glow whenever I applied the brakes

At service time the mechanic needed to inspect the pad thickness anyway

I suppose if you did exceptionally high mileage between services they were a good idea.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:34 PM

Tend to agree, especially if they'll be on a Mini with grease nipples to attend to.

I recall they were something like this. Autosparks are good for Mini wiring odds 'n sods regardless

#5 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:57 AM

See if you can find someone with a scrap Metro or old loom and cut the connectors off?

In fact - post a picture - I have some butchered old BL looms around, you never know..............

Good idea, I'll have a shop around, although metros are getting a bit thin on the ground.

https://www.minispar...c/GBP258AF.aspx

There is a cotton reel shaped cut out between the pins, which presumably fits onto a similarly shaped spike on the loom plug.
The plug on the pads is the male part and the female loom part clips over it.

To be honest I always thought the pad wear indicators were a bit use less.

And that's not to dis the Metro, I had 3 and loved them especially the MG Metro I had.

I had a couple of the Metros with this feature, on one whenever it rained the warning light would glow whenever I applied the brakes

At service time the mechanic needed to inspect the pad thickness anyway

I suppose if you did exceptionally high mileage between services they were a good idea.

I've had to sell my daily driver, so I will be knocking up the miles on the Mini for the time being, so I need it to be as reliable as possible and give me as much advanced warning as possible of any problems. I know this is a big ask for a 40 year old car but needs must I'm afraid.

#6 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:13 AM

I have seen those connectors before, have a look at the Pad wear senosrs for a Vauxhall Calibra. The senosors have a pad connector on one end, and the male version of that plug on the other.

Hopefully it is an industry standard so would be the same size.

Edit: I found an old one I replaced a few months back (broke the retaining lugs on the connector removing it)

Q141t2t.jpg

Internal size measures 10mm across.

Edited by RustyAutoCityE, 23 May 2020 - 09:53 AM.

#7 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:13 AM

Yes, that definitely looks the business. Thanks a lot, I'll chase that up.

#8 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

I have seen those connectors before, have a look at the Pad wear senosrs for a Vauxhall Calibra. The senosors have a pad connector on one end, and the male version of that plug on the other.

Edit: I found an old one I replaced a few months back (broke the retaining lugs on the connector removing it)

I've just found a pair on ebay for £3.60 for a Calibra new old stock. They look the same design, but might turn out to be the size of flower pot. O_O
For anyone else that wants to take a chance on these they are Motorquip -VWS2.

I'll update the post when they arrive if they don't fit.

#9 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

The one I measured above at 10mm is from a Calibra, so fingers crossed they work for you.

#10 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:29 PM

Q141t2t.jpg

Internal size measures 10mm across.

It didn't quite worked out as I had hoped. If I had read your post correctly I would have realised that the picture was the plug on the end of the pad wiring. Unfortunately, when the Calibra  loom arrived I realised the plug was identical to the plug on my Metro pads and not its partner.

Never mind, worth a punt, I'll just have to use a superseal connector. But thanks for your help anyway.

#11 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:56 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, glad they were only a couple of pounds to buy.

The reason I mentioned it was that the GBP258AF pads linked on Minispares appear to have the Female connector?

Hope you can find something suitable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users