#1 MiniFanGraham

MiniFanGraham

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

Hi
has anyone who has fitted a new bottom dash rail padding, got any tips?

first test fit today, obvious issue is the minispares new dash padding is straight and the dash rail is not.
so im pushing it hard to try to get the switch panel bolts in holes to get those awkward to reach little nuts on, so it holds padding in correct place; but I cannot get it pushed close enough to get nut on

did you have to trip down the new padding before fitting? not just the thin plastic but also the padding in sections too ?

my plan is to get those nuts on so the switch panel holds the padding in correct position, check all is ok; then remove so i can spray contact adhesive on rail and inside padding and fit for final time.

Any tips on how to get this on would be greatly appreciated

Then i have to tackle getting the little clips on and the chrome stripping - any tips for that please too :)

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:17 PM

Personally I didnt use contact adhesive on of any kind on my second hand dash pads, just fold the vinyl around the top of the rail, then use the clips and all should be well.

Edited by cal844, 21 May 2020 - 08:18 PM.

#3 MiniFanGraham

MiniFanGraham

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:03 PM

Yeah finally got it fitted, I had to sand/grind away the foam to get it to fit correctly and get them awkward switch panel nuts on, very fiddly

the foam did not seem to be molded correctly for my lower dash rail, sanding it back alittle at a time, test fit between sanding, until i could get the switch panel bolts to appear through holes enough so i could get the nuts on.

I have not glue'd it in
(a) because i finally got the nuts on - so awkward i dont wont to take them off again just to glue up
(b) hopefully the clips and chrome strip will hold it in place

© makes it easier to remove - if i ever need too again

onto next job, work out how to get the chrome strip on - new chrome strip and 8 clips (the kit did not come with any clips for the bottom)

my guess is place clips into chrome strip then push onto top of rail holding in wrapped vinyl - then trim excess vinyl
does the bottom vinyl get wrapped and clipped - or just glue and trim ?

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:43 PM

Yeah finally got it fitted, I had to sand/grind away the foam to get it to fit correctly and get them awkward switch panel nuts on, very fiddly
the foam did not seem to be molded correctly for my lower dash rail, sanding it back alittle at a time, test fit between sanding, until i could get the switch panel bolts to appear through holes enough so i could get the nuts on.
I have not glue'd it in
(a) because i finally got the nuts on - so awkward i dont wont to take them off again just to glue up
(b) hopefully the clips and chrome strip will hold it in place
© makes it easier to remove - if i ever need too again

onto next job, work out how to get the chrome strip on - new chrome strip and 8 clips (the kit did not come with any clips for the bottom)

my guess is place clips into chrome strip then push onto top of rail holding in wrapped vinyl - then trim excess vinyl
does the bottom vinyl get wrapped and clipped - or just glue and trim ?

Top vinyl should wrap the top dash rail, the bottom should just sit there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users